Old 04-12-2011   #11

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Greed and money are tools used to restrict access to the Taylor River so a few can claim it for their own personal enjoyment. That is third world thinking. The same tools were used to prey on the American home owners to put them in the streets and drain their bank accounts by makeing them pay unrealistic house payments after a few years into their morgage and than taking their house on top of it. There is more at stake here than just the right to float. It's is the right to be free from a few narrow minded individuals to limit our rights from us and our children and our children's children. It's called pride and backbone.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #12

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks to Slave for providing the Taylor backstory on the local landowners and the legislative process.

Those legislative hearings were amazing - Listening to the landowner groups was when I realized that giving Colorado boaters the same access to rivers as in the vast majority of other states will lead to the downfall of Western Civilization, deflowering of the girl next door, and that kayakers would be allowed, no wait, required, to raid riparian landowners' refrigerators and clean out all their Schlitz and turkey legs.

But seriously though...

Quote:
The point here is - Don't be intimidated, float if you want to float. Be respectful, be safe, and be smart. Learn the laws and regulations, understand your rights and let no one trample them.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. We have rights and should exercise them. My point is that we should check our attitudes at the put in and encourage other boaters not to seek out confrontations.

The National Rivers article appears to present a slam dunk case for Colorado access. Unfortunately, my understanding is that the NR position is overly optimistic for us to rely on for Colorado. Neither I, nor to my knowledge, Slave, are attorneys and I'm confident there are better legal and strategic minds than ours who have been working on Colorado boater access for decades. If it were a matter of laying out the case presented by NR, I think this issue would've been settled a long time ago.

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #13

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Use it or loose it. The more people that float the Taylor River in Gunnison County, Colorado, the better. It a flotilla is organized I will be there.
gunnisonriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #14

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnisonriver View Post
Use it or loose it. The more people that float the Taylor River in Gunnison County, Colorado, the better. It a flotilla is organized I will be there.
I agree, use it or lose it. Get out there and float it, but do it as you normally would, with your normal crew. No need for a large organized protest float...it will only aggrivate the situation. It was planned last summer and didn't happen for good reason. Read here:

Right to Float Rally on the Taylor
Old 04-13-2011   #15

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Sounds like the problem on the Lake Fork of the Gunnison. A few years ago boaters sat around drinking coffee and a making comments about how they were going to come down and float to get more boats on the river. I offered a free shuttle to anyone driving down. I saw two boats all summer. Great work. Keep talking about it but doing nothing.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #16

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Sounds like the problem on the Lake Fork of the Gunnison. A few years ago boaters sat around drinking coffee and a making comments about how they were going to come down and float to get more boats on the river. I offered a free shuttle to anyone driving down. I saw two boats all summer. Great work. Keep talking about it but doing nothing.
I believe the Taylor gets paddled/floated daily.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #17

Lake City, Colorado
You are right and what is your point.
Old 04-13-2011   #18

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
People were discussing "use it or lose it" and you compared the Taylor to a sitch where you saw 2 boaters in a whole season. It is getting used.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #19

Lake City, Colorado
All I'm saying is We have a "use it or lose it" situation here on the Lake Fork. It needs boaters. The LF is only about an hour south of the Taylor. Boaters talk about supporting the Lf but it doesn't happen. Instead of playing bumper boats on the Taylor and Gunny come down and support the LF. The big talk just pisses me off because it seems like that is all it is. Float remote. If their are fiffty boats a day on a stretch and commerical trips it is getting support. Free shuttle is still available.
Old 04-13-2011   #20

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What section of the Lake Fork? I will come down as soon as its flowing and take you up on the free shuttle!

ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote