Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 06-25-2015   #21
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
Does it really matter which name it is or isn't called? Someone died....It's a terribly sad event. That's all that should be said. Save the silly arguing for a different thread. Condolences to the family....
Yes, it is sad and I think every Buzzard is solid in their condolences to friends and family.

However, this is also an event that focuses our attention and energy on advancing the body of knowledge. I for one had no idea that the Birth Canal passage on Triplet Falls was also called by the same name as a well known rapid on the Upper C. As confusion can have grave consequences in rafting/yakking/SUPing, I suggest it be known as Birth Canal only. In more than a dozen trips thru Triplet, our party has had two flips in the Birth Canal, one raft and one ducky. We've never had a raft flip on any other rapid. From here on out the preferred line will be to start center, work left thru the rock garden, hug the left shore at the bottom near the highside rock and Birth Canal.

Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015   #22
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
capt, I think the whole point is not to take this rapid for granted. I think watching the current and knowing when to pull away from it is the trick. The pull isn't very hard, 2-3 strokes and you are out, but got to do it at the right time and watch to clear the left rock garden.

I was leading a trip two years ago, dropping into Triplet first and told everyone to follow my line. Sure enough I got hung up solid on a rock before the big left turn. Had to wave the boat behind me (total noob) to go ahead past me, yelling direction as she went by. By the time I got my boat unstuck, she was ahead of me and having no clue when to pull, she had a bad flip and a bad swim.

I think to seasoned boaters Triplet isn't a hard rapid if you know how to read the water.

PS: I've always known that passage as Birth Canal as well.
PSS: I think all of us have signed the death certificate when we took up the adrenaline pumping water sport. All of us just have a different expiration date.

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ riverbrain.com ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015   #23
steamboat springs, Colorado
I found this low water vid that shows the nastiness that lurks beneath and along the right side at Triplet. Triplet starts around the 3:20 mark and the birth canal comes into view around 5:40 or so

3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015   #24
Grand Disfunction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
Does it really matter which name it is or isn't called? Someone died....It's a terribly sad event. That's all that should be said. Save the silly arguing for a different thread. Condolences to the family....
never meant to sound insensitive about the incident or the loss of life and I felt like the tone was some mild, friendly back and forth. I do feel its important for folks who run in different circles to know that the obstacle has more than one name. I suspect Ric and I run with the same folks who have called it one name for a very long time and others here have run with folks who know it by a different name for a long time. :beer:
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015   #25
i call it the stay the hell away from the right side of triplett. first few time i ran lodore, we scouted 3 rapids and triplett was one of them.

and would somebody please shoot chuckles the clueless clown that was filming the women up in the video above?

I'll boat til the rivers run dry
CoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote