Old 10-24-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Gore: Small sieve in pool below toilet bowl

Probably old news to some...

I pulled a paddle out of a small sieve at the back of the pool below toilet bowl recently. Its located at the very back of the pool below the drop on river left where the rocks jut out to the center to create the pool. Its just below where most people eddy out after running toilet bowl to watch the rest of the crew.

I saw the paddle wedged in the sieve, and got out to get it. While getting the paddle out of the sieve I noted a few things.

First off, a good portion of the main flow coming out of the hole moves towards this sieve. You have to paddle to river right to get out of the pool and head downriver. This could be problematic for swimmers out of toilet bowl who lollygag and don't get out of the river.

The sieve at ~1000 cfs had a fair bit of water going through it, and a little suction whirlpool at the surface showing the water sucking down. The sieve is small, but big enought for a person or boat to enter. Even though it seems unlikely, if you got too close, you could definitely have an uncomfortable experience in there.

I have never really looked at this feature before. I am usually eddied out above it and to the left watching the rest of the crew's lines, or ferrying back out to the right to head downstream.

Thought I would give a heads up as it seems like a spot that sees lots of people eddy out right above it, has a fair number of swimmers, and seems to collect gear.

At a minimum, its a good place to check for paddles if they are lost at tunnel.

deepsouthpaddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #2

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for posting this Ian. People should be aware of this thing.

I have now seen a paddle and boat get stuffed into the sieve in the past two weeks.

Apparently there was a dead animal and logs jamming it for a good part of the season.

Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #3

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
We had a couple of swimmers in TB a couple of weeks ago. I ended up shoving a boat in that thing. It took more than I figured it would to get it out. The boat went in upside down and with some water, in about 30 seconds it was upright and half was submerged into the sieve with water still flowing into it.

It could defiantly take a person down given the right circumstances. Don't dilly dally at that spot.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #4

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
It caught one of my buddies last Saturday. He was just chillin' and got sucked in. He power-paddled out of it though.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #5
addict

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
ian, any chance the paddle you recovered is a straight shaft werner with green blades?
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The paddle I got out was from one of our crew that swam out of tunnel. Didn't see the green blade paddle.

Its interesting how many hazards you find in rapids that you normally route without scouting when you really start looking.
deepsouthpaddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #7
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
There was a dead moose stuck in there for a couple weeks early season. The wood and moose got blown out during runoff. Lots of water is going under that rock now. I helped pull two kayaks out of there this fall. Be careful and swim quickly to avoid the hazard. Motivation for a good boof stroke.