Glenwood Springs Bridge Replacement - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-19-2016   #1
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Glenwood Springs Bridge Replacement

Hey kids;
They are planning to do "temporary river closures" during the replacement of the grand Ave bridge
They want people's opinions on this and you can sign up for emails on the specifics
Seventh Street to close under Grand Avenue bridge on workdays | AspenTimes.com

Just a heads up, they plan on closing the bridge for 3 months come the middle of August. And it's gonna suck some big balls

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
It's been needed for many a year. Do you know how long the construction is suppose to take?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016   #3
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Too long, it's started a couple of weeks ago, they're building a cause way on the south bank of the river.
The bridge will take 3 months to complete after the close the old one, build a roundabout.
I'm going to say staying away from glenwood during rush hour is going to be the rule as I know it is going to be a massive cluster fuck
Old 01-20-2016   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks for posting this. I read the article but missed the part about them wanting river users opinions. I'm sure they already have input from the commercial outfits and the Hot Springs Pool but I would like to know how it will affect private boaters.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016   #5

We're screwed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Would it be possible for the locals to keep the buzz crowd updated with construction photos? More for intrigue, but could also effect trips out that way too.
Old 01-20-2016   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Already a pain and they're barely started. This is gonna be rough but rather nice when done IMO.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016   #7

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
https://www.codot.gov/projects/sh82grandavenuebridge
Here is the link for the project.

You know, Frederick Fucking Chopin.
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
One of the Project Engineers that is working for one of the GC's on the job is renting a room in my house. It sounds like a really complicated project. It involves the Interstate, all of the up valley and down valley commuter traffic, the railroad, massive amounts of utilities, the hot spring pool, tourists, pedestrians etc and of course river users. On top of all of that they also have to worry about the actual construction.

They are really concerned about communication with river users during the different phases of the project and how that should best be accomplished. They know how popular that stretch of river is with every type of river craft out there both commercial and private and how important it is to this area and visiting boaters. Of course safety is first.

The two causeways are going to make temporary new features both at high and low water. There is not a lot of gradient there but the river will be constricted. They are going to be lifting massive girders etc. out over the river and drilling from the causeways. The causeways are not a place where they want anyone to stop as they are made from really sharp boulders and there is heavy equipment working above. There are going to be hazards when the new piers are installed and the old ones removed. I am sure that there are many other things to consider as well.

I think that it is important to the boating community that some of us participate. While they are very aware of us and want to make sure we are all safe, it does not sound like they have much experience with what we do and the best way to keep all of us safe and informed.

I sent an email to the link in the Aspen Times article and someone immediately responded.
bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016   #9

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Complete shit show brought on by years of neglect and a improper structure built and a the replacement structure is even worse. WE ARE FUCKED. I do how ever enjoy there unrealistic time line.

I'd take that deal n crawfish, then drill that ole devil in the ass.
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016   #10

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Maybe a dumb question here, but will this affect Shoshone laps in any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is online now   Reply With Quote