Old 05-21-2008   #1

first drop in Boulder Creek

The drop at the top of Matthews WW course has changed since last year. Seems like there are piton and pinning options now. Definitely a new rock in there.

msunev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by msunev View Post
The drop at the top of Matthews WW course has changed since last year. Seems like there are piton and pinning options now. Definitely a new rock in there.
Is the drop above the large pool that is formed by the diversion dam (the one with the slide down the river right) --just trying to get a good frame of reference.

Old 05-21-2008   #3

Cheyenne - it is the one above the diversion dam, the 8' waterfall. the reactionary coming off the right was a smooth line last year, but it is a plunk onto a rock now. the middle has a skinny slot, but I am not sure until I go back and look at it during low water. I just remember a lot of roostertail yesterday. Anyone?
msunev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #4

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
In checking this out today at low water, one of the big boulders has moved from being tight with the other boulders in the drop. The boulder has moved right of center of the main channel. I could see an unexpecting paddler, tuber, or swimmer getting pinned or having a foot/leg entrapped in the gap. I am trying to let the city know about it, but have not found the right person yet.
Old 10-02-2008   #5

Student/Engineer
Hey AJ,
I think I ran it with you a couple times ... I thought it made for an interesting drop ...start left move center then once you go off move back left (one last sweep). If I recall correctly I didn't think it was too bad.
On the first attempt, I hit the rock straight on with my bow and I kicked my knees up and the boat went over it. Worst case, you fall over (I don't see pinning potential there ...not an expert though) and get banged up a bit ...but it looked deep down the center.

-assad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
In checking this out today at low water, one of the big boulders has moved from being tight with the other boulders in the drop. The boulder has moved right of center of the main channel. I could see an unexpecting paddler, tuber, or swimmer getting pinned or having a foot/leg entrapped in the gap. I am trying to let the city know about it, but have not found the right person yet.
Old 10-03-2008   #6

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I am not worried about it for me personally, I have run it a couple different ways.

However, beginners, tubers and a potential swimmers thinking they are in a relatively safe play park drop might be at risk for entrapment more then anything else. Plus, seeing how it is man made by the city, I wonder if there might be some liability for the city?
Old 10-03-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
A few years ago I made some inquiries at the city of Boulder about improving/modernizing the course and heard back from the Boulder Greenways Coordinator as quoted below. I've lost the email address but that seems like the department you are looking for.

"Thanks for your interest in the maintenance work in Boulder Creek. The Urban Drainage and Flood Control District, in conjunction with the City of Boulder Utilities Division, is repairing existing drop structures in Boulder Creek that have deteriorated over time. The primary function of these drop structures is for flood control, however the repairs are being made with consideration for kayaking. Gary Lacy with Recreation Engineering and Planning has been giving his input on the repair work. This work only involves repairing existing drop structures. No new structures are being built."

I then asked about the prospects are for additional kayak-driven improvements and or extension of the existing course, either up or downstream and got this response:

"The work that is currently being done is being funded through the Urban Drainage and Flood Control District and is intended to be for flood mitigation. The Greenways Program has funding for a variety of purposes including recreation. Currently there are no kayak improvements identified in the Greenways Master Plan, but if there are projects that make sense, they can be added to the list of projects in the Master Plan. If you would like to make specific recommendations, I would certainly consider them."
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't think the rock in question would be too difficult to move at low/no water.I ran it after Cheyennes post this summer at too low level. It is no big deal to most boaters kinda' makes it more interesting,BUT I watched every tuber go right into what would probably be a piton in a kayak,they bounced off hard and up and over it but a boat might pin,real dangerous in a beginner area!I THINK MUSCLE POWER AND A BIG PRY BAR COULD MOVE IT JUST NEED TO STRATEGIZE HOW IT WILL EFFECT BOATING.would be willing to help
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't think the rock in question would be too difficult to move at low/no water.I ran it after Cheyennes post this summer at too low level. It is no big deal to most boaters kinda' makes it more interesting,BUT I watched every tuber go right into what would probably be a piton in a kayak,they bounced off hard and up and over it but a boat might pin,real dangerous in a beginner area!I THINK MUSCLE POWER AND A BIG PRY BAR COULD MOVE IT JUST NEED TO STRATEGIZE HOW IT WILL EFFECT BOATING.would be willing to help
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A buddy of mine did the drop backwards at about 175cfs (it's his backyard run) and was surprised by the piton rock. Put a big dent in his boat. It was hidden pretty well, probably should be moved at low water if that's possible.

Tags
boulder, boulder creek