Old 10-03-2008   #11

Thing has got to be about 4'x4'x2' and weigh 3/4 ton. A prybar and muscle can move it no doubt [with a little engineering] but moving it might create a dangerous slide.

NB: A few rocks on river left in that drop have shifted so that the left to right move is a possible pin/wedge, and at least a bumpy plastic raping ride.

msunev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #12

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
When the pool got dredged out late winter or early spring, they moved the rock. While it is an easy move to get by on the right it is a legitimate hazzard for kayaks and tubers alike. It would be much better to have it moved back up, in to the void, than away from it. The void and pin/entrapment spot is pretty serious.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #13

Anyone up to set aside a day before it gets too cold to manipulate a smaller, more manageable drop with our collective manpower into a nice wave?
Old 10-03-2008   #14

Boulder, Colorado
yes. pm or call me 3-497-5989
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #15

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I spoke with someone in City of Boulder and they are looking into it. You might want to let them do this, as people get wierd, if you move a rock in a stream bed.
Old 11-03-2008   #16

Anyone looked at this drop recently? It has changed dramatically. The big rock moved downstream, and one of the river right drop rocks shifted. Kayaks might make it through when there is more water, but the line looks tight, and it looks like it will flip you to the left - right onto another big ol' boulder. The real danger is for tubers - pretty much looks like any swims will result in a leg entrapment. Anyone in contact with the city might want to tell them that the fix they did (I assume that the 2 ton rock didn't move itself) proposes even more of a hazard now. thanks
Old 11-03-2008   #17
They call me Jon

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Id help

Hey all, I run that section a lot after work. I d be willing to help move the rock or help out with whatever is decided. 303-817-5809 Give me a call.

I recall it shifting mid summer and lots of people hitting it...and being supprised by it.

I also stand to bring back the markers for the course. Honestly, id be willing to help pay for a bunch of PVC pipe and paint it green/red and help get them hung. It really cant take that much work. The cross creek wires are mostly still there. (perhaps some need replacement.)

You can also send me an email
cheifitj@gmail.com

Jon
cheifitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #18

river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Change the whole park!

good luck moving that rock. You might attract the attention of some Boulder enviro hippies that might not like a group of people changing the river. It does look like it will be very dangerous to run that drop. Even at higher water it looks like you could easily get pinned. I used to go to boulder creek all the time but being that there is no good play spots I drive other places.

What Boulder creek really needs is a face lift. With the gradient that is in the section from that drop to below the park they could rebuild that creek into a world class location. It does have a short season but could draw lots more people to Boulder. What does it take to get a project like that going?

Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder, boulder creek