Mountain Buzz banner

FIRE BAN ON RUBY-HORSETHIEF

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BLM Ruby Horsethief 
#1 ·
Just FYI for everyone. Please feel free to call me with any questions!

As of June 23, 2017 there will be a Stage I fire ban in place for Mesa County and all of the BLM land located in Mesa County, this includes the Ruby-Horsethief (Loma, CO to the Utah Border) section of the Colorado River. If you have a permit as of June 23, 2017 please obey the below restrictions. Also, as of July 1, 2017 there is a new stipulation on your permit, “No fires are allowed in the river corridor.”

Stage I- The following acts are prohibited:

Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire except within a developed recreation site, or improved site. 36 CFR 261.52(a).

The following actions are permitted: petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns, or heating devices providing such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specification for safety.

Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials. 36 CFR 261.52(d).

No operation welding, acetylene, or other torch with an open flame.

Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark-arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order meeting either the USDA Forest Service Standard 5100-1a (as amended), or appropriate Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J335(b) and J350(a) (36 CFR 261.52(j)).

What do the restrictions mean?
• Campsites on the Ruby-Horsethief (Loma, CO to the Utah Border) section of the Colorado River are not a developed recreation site or developed campground, fires are not permitted.
• Stage I Restrictions include the use of charcoal. No charcoal is allowed.
• You may still use your cooking stove equipped with an on-off switch.
• Please carry a fire pan regardless of the ban. It is for emergency use only.

If you have any questions contact the Grand Junction Field Office at 970-244-3000.

See less See more
#5 ·
Question...

"Just FYI for everyone... Also, as of July 1, 2017 there is a new stipulation on your permit, “No fires are allowed in the river corridor.”"

Is this stipulation in place only for the time period of the Stage 1 fire ban, or will this essentially be a year round ban on all campfires in RHT?

#12 ·
Hunting season starts Aug 26. All Fire bans will be gone by then. Watch.

Btw.. Is there a link to the order for a special fire ban for Ruby Horse thief over and above any Mesa County fire ban orders or is it just a stipulation of the permit for overnight camping, IE... Day users would be permitted to have a fire regardless of the overnight camping stipulations ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.