Old 06-12-2011   #31

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Wanted to post an update on the fence over the Thompson....

Fence across river lands rancher in hot water

By Pamela Dickman | © 2011 Loveland Reporter-Herald
Reporter-Herald/JENNY SPARKS
Paul Ehrlich points at the spot on his property west of Loveland where he had strung a barbed-wire fence across the Big Thompson River. Fearing the danger the fence posed to rafters on the river, the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office made him take it down.
LOVELAND -- Paul Ehrlich considers his 60 acres a gift.
He cherishes the view, the trees, the chirping birds and the bubbling Big Thompson River that splits his property on Namaqua Road west of Loveland.
But he does not cherish the rafters and tubers who, he says, frequently trespass on his yard and have gone so far as to shove him when confronted.
And he wants to buy 25 head of cattle to graze his land — something he said he cannot do unless he can string a fence through the river to keep his livestock from escaping.
Last month, he installed a four-strand barbed-wire fence across the river just east of Namaqua Park and found himself in hot water.
“That’s an absolute death trap,” said Battalion Chief Tim Smith of the Loveland Fire and Rescue Department. “We understand what his concerns are.
“We were more concerned about rafters in the water. If the water is high, and they come around the corner and don’t get out, it will kill them.”
The water will go through the fence, but the person will not, a situation that rescuers call “a strainer” that can be damaging and deadly, explained Larimer County Undersheriff Bill Nelson.
“A four-strand barbed-wire fence across the river that’s full of tubers is extremely dangerous,” he said.
“That’s something that will catch people in a heartbeat.”
Fence Removed
After learning about Ehrlich’s fence, a sheriff’s deputy consulted with the county attorney, who provided him with a 1983 decision by the Colorado attorney general that prohibits fences across rivers. The deputy visited Ehrlich and told him he had to take down the fence.
The rancher did so, removing it after just over a week.
But he still believes the law is unfair and unenforceable.
Plenty of ranchers in the state have fences across a river, Ehrlich said.
County officials agree but say different situations require different solutions.
Gary Buffington, director of the county’s Department of Natural Resources, said he knows of others in Larimer County.
“Not all those areas are accessed by recreationists,” Buffington said.
The fence law is enforced on a complaint-only basis, which Ehrlich said is not fair.
But much of the law is enforced that way, and the Sheriff’s Office does not have the resources to patrol the river for fences or trespassers, according to Nelson.
“Unless somebody complains about it, we might not know,” Nelson said. “We don’t know about people’s burglaries at their houses unless they complain.
“An awful lot of our calls for assistance are complaint-oriented. It’s someone calling us to report a problem.”
By Colorado law, fences are not allowed to block rafters in the river, and residents are allowed to ride the rivers on tubes and rafts.
They are not, however, allowed to trespass.
Trespassing a Problem
On Ehrlich’s property, he said, tubers trespass all the time. His land is the last place to leave the river before a dangerous diversion structure just east of Namaqua Park.
He said he has had family picnics interrupted by tubers and even found people hanging out in his yard.
But when he calls the sheriff, the culprits take off before deputies arrive, he said.
“Can I come have a picnic in their front yard?” asked Ehrlich. “I’d like to know what their address is.”
Buffington hopes to help alleviate that problem with signs.
His department is working to find a place for rafters to get out of the river on public property before they reach Ehrlich’s land.
Then, the county will place signs and a map at Glade Park, where many start their river adventure.
But most of the land between there and Ehrlich’s property is private.
State Law a Mixed Bag
The dispute between property owners and rafters along rivers is not new nor is it uniform. Situations and official responses vary across the state.
“The way it is written, the law as it stands is that you are trespassing if you are in a waterway and you step out and touch the riverbed,” said Loveland-area state Rep. B.J. Nikkel. “That’s where you get into ‘deep water’ with the issue.
“The law is so different. In some places you can and some places you can’t. I favor them being able to use it while not trespassing.”
In 2010, some Colorado legislators tried to change the law to favor rafters over ranchers, but the bill failed.
Now, Ehrlich would like to gather a group and try to change state law in the other direction, to allow his fence.
He does not want to hurt rafters and had installed a large red wooden sign to warn them of the impending fence.
He is also willing to find another type of fence that would keep his cattle in but not hurt rafters.
But, he said, he is not sure what he can legally do.
“I can’t contain my cattle without it,” he said. “There’s just no way. ... I just want to make a living.”

cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #32

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Interesting update. Glad he had to take the fence down. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-13-2011   #33

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I don't blame the "rancher" for being angry at folks who walk across his yard and disturb his peace. Those kinds of folks make it hard for the rest of us.

On the other hand, 60 acres hardly makes him a "rancher", and he is certainly not "making a living" off of 25 head of cattle. This had become his convenient excuse for the fence.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #34
KDT

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
Quote:
Originally Posted by openboat View Post
On the other hand, 60 acres hardly makes him a "rancher", and he is certainly not "making a living" off of 25 head of cattle. This had become his convenient excuse for the fence.
Exactly.
Old 06-13-2011   #35

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Amazed that ranchers across the west are making it!

Without the need to string multiple strands of wire over the river.
That fence is all about drunk kids on tubes. I have to admit, if I had drunk college kids running tubes through my property all day, it probably would get on my nerves too. Glad the sheriff did the right thing.
Old 06-15-2011   #36

Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Paddling Since: 2004
Canada- no fences on Bailey?? I can think of 2 donwnstream of F.U./Rawhide FF, one at the bottom of F.U. property, before the 1st low bridge-john woodward used orange plastic construction fencing hung from a cable with a gate cut out for yakers, not the most litter free method. There's another where estabrook ranch and rivercliffe property lines meet-there they hung garden hose sections cut to 3' off a wire-note wire is low when river is 700-owners are the fullerton's-(lawyer family) quietly portage right side if too low...Either fence works great for cattle, and boaters. Watch your head on those bridges!!! We have worked very hard over the years with all the landowners on the NFSP to keep it simple safe and clean, the owners of rivercliffe like us and consider our recreation a wonderful novelty to watch, pee in the river, Pack it in, pack it out, pick it up, pass it on. It is just as bad to pass by trash as to put it there yourself- pick up all MOOP- marerial out of place.
Ehrlich very definately wants to keep tubers out, he should buy a gun so's he can hold dem picnakers for the deputy!

And don't even get me started on fences in or above Bailey........
Old 06-15-2011   #37

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
My bailey example was an attempt to show how cooperation can work.

Not a comment on the presence or lack of presence of fences. I haven't been down there in 6 years, and would not be equiped to comment on anything that is or is not there.
Old 06-15-2011   #38

Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Paddling Since: 2004
No worries, it is a great example of handshake type, old west honor. Come on out and get some-almost 700, mostly natural. Sick, but, still a little low for some......
Old 06-15-2011   #39

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Loveland doesn't have a college, most likely the tubers are teenagers or kids.

There are so many appropriate ways to handle situations such as this, it always amazes me when people choose the solution that could end in death.

It is not hard to write down a license plate number or follow them down the road if the sheriff is too slow to show up.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #40

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Maybe we can use this to get fences out of lower SSV?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote