Fence across the Kokopelli Trail 4 mi east of Cisco - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 03-20-2017   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Fence across the Kokopelli Trail 4 mi east of Cisco

Beware dirt bikers, ATVers and people riding mtn bike shuttles for Westwater:

Some douche bag cattle grazer has strung a fence across the Kokopelli east of Cisco. Its on a downhill section heading east, before you turn off the dirt road onto double track. If you're going fast it could kill you. If you're lucky you'll get off with a broken arm and a few broken ribs. BLM has been notified.

cataraftbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You didn't have any wire cutters with you, I gather? Lots of little 12" sections are harder to repair than a single cut, fyi. The shit we let ranchers get away with in the west. . .If I blockaded my street "so my cattle (er, child) couldn't get out" the cops would come write me a ticket, then a bill for removing such a barrier. Ranchers can shoot your dog (who weighs 40lb to the cow's 1000lb), but god forbid I slow down the guy speeding through my neighborhood at 50mph by chunking a 2x4 out in the road when I hear him coming. . .

Grazing on public lands, "Fence out" rules, and all notions that the general public should be somehow responsible for free roaming livestock have outlived their usefulness in the modern world, if you ask me.

Cut fences that illegally restrict access to public lands, always pull survey stakes- as George says, and what is it Doc says we're supposed to do with billboards again??
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

thailand, Colorado
The 3 B's, Civil Duty of every American.
mattman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017   #4

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
You didn't have any wire cutters with you, I gather? Lots of little 12" sections are harder to repair than a single cut, fyi. The shit we let ranchers get away with in the west. . .If I blockaded my street "so my cattle (er, child) couldn't get out" the cops would come write me a ticket, then a bill for removing such a barrier. Ranchers can shoot your dog (who weighs 40lb to the cow's 1000lb), but god forbid I slow down the guy speeding through my neighborhood at 50mph by chunking a 2x4 out in the road when I hear him coming. . .

Grazing on public lands, "Fence out" rules, and all notions that the general public should be somehow responsible for free roaming livestock have outlived their usefulness in the modern world, if you ask me.

Cut fences that illegally restrict access to public lands, always pull survey stakes- as George says, and what is it Doc says we're supposed to do with billboards again??
If you had state or federal permit to graze cattle in "your" neighborhood you would prob be fine with fence. Not sure about the 2x4 but if it is "your" neighbor hood it is probably "your" road too. Just sounds like typical douche bag trap set by rancher for good times. Prob only about 10 feet long. Just go around. Rancher prob sitting on hill drinking beer watching you douche bag liberals try to figure it out.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

thailand, Colorado
Well, the local road that you live on, would actually be considered "your" road, in the exact same sense that a public mtn. bike trail is considered your trail. It IS your road, along with belonging to all of your fellow citizens.
When one of the citizens starts trying to take posesion of public property, solely for them self,
( like stringing a fence across a public trail) it might piss you off a bit, (especially if it could maim someone) in the same way a landowner would be pissed off with his fellow citizens trespassing on land that only belongs to him.
mattman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #6

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Sure are a lot of western grazing lawyers checking in on this.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #7

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
If you had state or federal permit to graze cattle in "your" neighborhood you would prob be fine with fence. Not sure about the 2x4 but if it is "your" neighbor hood it is probably "your" road too. Just sounds like typical douche bag trap set by rancher for good times. Prob only about 10 feet long. Just go around. Rancher prob sitting on hill drinking beer watching you douche bag liberals try to figure it out.
Is the right wing asshole rancher opening his farming/ranching government subsidy check while he watches? Shocker the guy from Lake City is pro fence.
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #8
Tim Kennedy

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Fence on Kokopelli

If I am thinking about the same fence that is mentioned here, I don't think it's a permanent fence. It's a section of removable fencing across the road between existing fencing on the north and south side of the road. We came across it a couple of weeks ago, while biking the Westwater shuttle. We stopped, opened the gate/fence, walked our bikes through/across it, closed the gate/fence behind us, and carried on down the road. This section of the Kokopelli trial is actually on a dirt road. It is frequently travelled by ranchers' and river runners' vehicles. I don't think that the intent of this is to keep people out. I think it is there to keep cattle in, because there is no cattle guard there. You can open/close it on the north side, with the wire loops at the top and bottom of the post. There is a new/improved cattle guard further east on the "double track" section, at the top of a small hill, after a wet ditch/stream crossing. nbd
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_1985.pdf (7.9 KB, 291 views)
Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
Tim Kennedy has the right way to handle this and keep every one happy.

way to go tim!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #10

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimteam101 View Post
Is the right wing asshole rancher opening his farming/ranching government subsidy check while he watches? Shocker the guy from Lake City is pro fence.
Your an idiot. Have you ever even been on the Lake Fork. If so did you see a fence. More bridges that have to portaged during high water than anything. Even one put in by BLM about 6 years ago. Maybe search some post from years ago when I was trying to get people to float the Lake Fork most were scared because they thought there were fences. I was the one clearing trees and improving eddies at takeouts while you were prob working on your sick moves in some play park with your bros. Dumbass
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote