Old 03-02-2011   #1

Moab, Utah
Dogs in Westwater Canyon

If you are a dog owner and enjoy bringing your dog into Westwater Canyon -this is your chance to create a positive change!!

In Westwater Canyon there have been a number of dog related challenges such as chasing wildlife, negative dog/ human interactions, solid dog waste in camps and at attraction sites and dogs being left unattended at the Westwater Ranger Station and Cisco boat ramp.

In the effort to give folks a chance to retain the privilege of
having dogs in Westwater Canyon we are issuing a notice and a request for improvement.

We always hope that people read through their permit stipulations prior to launching. However, I am guessing that there are many 'frequent fliers' or repeat Westwater boaters that skip that step. The following is an excerpt from the 2011 Westwater private boating stipulations:

"Dogs must be kept on a leash at the Westwater Ranger Station and under control at all times. Dogs may not be left unattended at Westwater Ranger Station or at Cisco Landing. You must clean up, remove and carry out all solid dog waste. Dogs may be banned in future years if solid dog waste continues to be a problem in camps and high use areas. Please clean up after your pet!"

Thank you for your help and for spreading the word!! Happy spring and happy boating...

BLM_Moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for the heads up and welcome to mountain buzz. The dog rules there are entirely reasonable. It would be a shame for a handful of disrespectful dog owners ruin it for everyone else.

T.L.s: don't be shy about policing the dog bringing members of your party; the rangers should not have to bother with dog management.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #3

up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
bad dogs = bad owners...usually
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #4
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.rafter View Post
bad dogs = bad owners...usually
Exactly, we have 2 little ones and 1 old choclate lab and I pick up more dog poo that they put out, but hey thats the pleasure of owning dogs(or them owning us, i haven't figured that part out yet)
The old one likes to lay around so we attach the 2 small ones to her and tie her up to something. we have gone on WW trips where the person who owns(owned by) the dogs thinks its ok to let them run loose and almost made us lose our trip by not having them tied up(and other late night rambunctioness). I hate to say it about a freind but I now think twice before inviting him on a trip because of the way he handles the dog. don't get me wrong he is a great owner(ownee) but rules are rules and I would be pissed if I had to derig and pack it all up at the put in due to someone not keeping their dog leashed
Old 03-15-2011   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I agree, I used to hate picking up the poo, I figured what goes around comes around but now I realize the errors of my thinking. What goes around stays around. Now I make it an effort to pick up more than my dog poots out in an effort to keep the heat off of the dog owning world. Tell all your friends to carry extra bags and pick up more then seems fair to rectify the problem and give any one not taking responsibility a healthy tung lashing. And for god sake keep the critters leashed any where the rangers might be.
gringoventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #6

up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
if you forget one, a leash that is, I'm sure every one has a cam strap that will get by in a pinch, or a piece of rope. Lets keep our fury well behaved friends out there with us. This doesnt apply to Westwater only, anywhere that is dog friendly all the same rules apply.
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
I am a dog owner and love my dog. I do not take my dog on river trips, even tho it would be nice to have him along.

Have been blessed to run WW many times. Have never spent the night at the Ranger station without having at least one incident of unleashed dogs running around the boater's camp site dropping poo or pee on gear stacked in camp and getting in the way of campers. Not fun to have to clean your river gear from dog pee!

I applaud the rangers for asking people to have respect for others and leash their dogs in camp and along the river. Based on my experience, I seriously doubt the small amount of dog owners who do not care about other boaters dealing with their barking and or running around camp pets following the voluntary request to leash their dogs.

I know it is unpopular but the only answer that works, is to totally ban dog traffic on river trips.

This is coming from a life time dog owner who loves his dog but is just totally disgusted with cleaning up after other dog owners who let their pets run free, regardless of the rules.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #8

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Wow Okie...born under a bad sign?
I have enough WW trips to be beyond counting. I have never had a dog poo or pee on my gear. For you to have it happen everytime you camp at the put-in is unfortunate.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
for some reason my luck with dogs at WW station camp has been bad. and, like I posted, I am a long time dog owner and love them as pets.

Yup, several times pee on the gear pile. Other wise just a poo or pee in the area or running thru camp or barking at night.

One time a few years ago, a party came in with two big playfull labs in their raft. We were camped next to the ramp area for a next day launch. First thing the dogs did was run up the bank and encountered a bud's kayak with his gear stacked in the cockpit. Up with the legs and out with the pee. We hollered at the dogs and the owners yelled back if we had a problem. Yup your dogs are peeing on our gear - no answer back. Owners finally put dogs on leashes after the Ranger came out of the trailer and the dogs were running up and down the ramp.

Not the dogs fault. They needed to pee and love to play. Don't remember ever meeting a lab that did not want to romp around and play.

Responsible dog owners could solve the problem and many do the right thing. The problem is too many dog owners for some reason think their dogs do not need to be on a leash in public areas.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #10
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
for some reason my luck with dogs at WW station camp has been bad. and, like I posted, I am a long time dog owner and love them as pets.

Yup, several times pee on the gear pile. Other wise just a poo or pee in the area or running thru camp or barking at night.

One time a few years ago, a party came in with two big playfull labs in their raft. We were camped next to the ramp area for a next day launch. First thing the dogs did was run up the bank and encountered a bud's kayak with his gear stacked in the cockpit. Up with the legs and out with the pee. We hollered at the dogs and the owners yelled back if we had a problem. Yup your dogs are peeing on our gear - no answer back. Owners finally put dogs on leashes after the Ranger came out of the trailer and the dogs were running up and down the ramp.

Not the dogs fault. They needed to pee and love to play. Don't remember ever meeting a lab that did not want to romp around and play.

Responsible dog owners could solve the problem and many do the right thing. The problem is too many dog owners for some reason think their dogs do not need to be on a leash in public areas.
There are plenty of well behaved dogs who do not need to be leashed full time, and there are plenty of appropriate public places where nearly all dogs can be off leash. Clearly the put-in camp is not one of those places, although the 1 time I was ever there, we had no problems. I don't want to setup my tent on a bunch of dog poop, nor do I want any of my river/camping gear pee'd on. For how many people there are in the campsite and potentially how many dogs, it just makes sense to leash up the dogs and let them play when you get to the wilderness campsites.

glenn is online now   Reply With Quote