Old 03-15-2011   #11

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
A big part of the dog problem at the westwater put in is the dogs and owners finishing ruby horsetheif. Everyone with a dog seems to bring them on that stretch.

CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #12

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Up with the legs and out with the pee. We hollered at the dogs and the owners yelled back if we had a problem. Yup your dogs are peeing on our gear - no answer back.
Good on you for not taking it further. I'd probably end up in prison if someone's dog pissed on my hear and the owner asked me if I had a problem.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #13

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Well there will always be people who "love dogs" but leave them at home. Maybe traveling with dogs is not for them. But if you out law dogs then we should ban crying children as well, and then lets ban loud drunk mouth girlfriends and wives, and then lets ban smokers as well. After all its all personal when they bother us. The answer is for the responsible people to stand up to the ingrates and uneducated rafters of the world. Say "put your loud mouth bitc- on a leash" And if your dog pees on my gear I'll not let my panties get all wadded up, I'll just pee on my gear myself. I'll ask the Lab owners politely to wash off my gear please and not ruin it for me and my dog. If that doesn't work, we should follow George W.'s lead and act preemptively. Banning things is a knee-jerk reaction and we have enough of that in our country. Picking up poo is like picking up some darrlicts empty Bush Light can from a camp site. It makes you mad but you do it because its the right thing to do.
gringoventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #14

Summit County, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoventures View Post
Well there will always be people who "love dogs" but leave them at home. Maybe traveling with dogs is not for them. But if you out law dogs then we should ban crying children as well, and then lets ban loud drunk mouth girlfriends and wives, and then lets ban smokers as well. After all its all personal when they bother us. The answer is for the responsible people to stand up to the ingrates and uneducated rafters of the world. Say "put your loud mouth bitc- on a leash" And if your dog pees on my gear I'll not let my panties get all wadded up, I'll just pee on my gear myself. I'll ask the Lab owners politely to wash off my gear please and not ruin it for me and my dog. If that doesn't work, we should follow George W.'s lead and act preemptively. Banning things is a knee-jerk reaction and we have enough of that in our country. Picking up poo is like picking up some darrlicts empty Bush Light can from a camp site. It makes you mad but you do it because its the right thing to do.

Amen. We love our dog like she's family and she goes on EVERY river trip where dogs are allowed, especially since there are quite a few already where they aren't allowed. There is no way I could leave her at home knowing that she could be on the river with us. We also have her on her leash at the put-in AND take-out (every put-in and take-out, not just WW, Cisco, etc.), and diligently search for her poo at campsites, even if we don't see where she goes, to make sure that we don't leave any trace of her being there. We often get compliments from the WW rangers for following the rules and keeping her under control. If it's super busy and hectic, we'll even leave her in the car until we're ready to launch. Often times, we'll leash her to our boat and she just lays there on the boat as happy as she can be and out of everyone's way. As for taking out at WW after Ruby/Horsethief, I grab her leash or a strap from the boat and get her ready before we even hit the bank. Granted, we've done Ruby/Horsethief and WW a LOT and know the rules, but leading by example for those who don't know is always best and seems to work. Bottom line, if you follow the rules, there's nothing to complain about and no reason for you to have to leave your pups at home.
summitraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #15

Jenks, Oklahoma
summitraftgirl, you are the type of responsible dog owner that I would love to see more dog owners learn from and raft with. More like you and the dog problem on rivers and access points would go away.

Thank you for setting a great example with your dog especially at WW.

Hope to run into you and your dog later in the year as we generally run Ruby WW etc as a very late in the season float and cook season finale.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #16

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My dog saved my life when I was attacked by a bear in deso 2 years ago. She goes EVERYWHERE I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2705662368.png
Views:	118
Size:	791.0 KB
ID:	3356  
WillYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #17

Very glad we are able to bring our dog on WW trips! Fully respect picking up poo(even other dogs as owners dont always see the deed happening), leashing and such. Appreciate the heads up from BLM. We'll keep it clean.
Old 04-01-2011   #18

Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Paddling Since: 2004
I say ban citiots & citiotdogs, whalah, no more problems..
Old 04-02-2011   #19

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by badswimmer View Post
I say ban citiots & citiotdogs, whalah, no more problems..
Actually, city folks are the ones who keep their dogs on leashes and carry a roll of crap baggies to pick up their crap. When is the last time you saw a country boy with his dog on a leash, picking up its crap and putting it in a bag. Oh, right... never.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #20

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
i find it highly frustrating that the BLM managment plan includes cattle grazing and burning tamarisks through westwater but the people there must practice a leave no trace attitude and use a fireblanket. but its ok for the blm staff to leave big burn piles? WTf?

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote