Edwards, Colorado
Incredibly foolish mistake.

SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015   #43
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by SBlue View Post
Incredibly foolish mistake.
"foolish mistake" is not the phrase I would use because it implies that there was a modicum of sense during the process.
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015   #44
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
After seeing the related posts my wife showed me on Facebook, I would be reserving a one way rental with U-Haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015   #45
Blue River, Colorado
Group resposibility!

According to the Grand Junction Sentinel, here:
Breckenridge man accused of igniting fire on Dog Island |
the suspect was part of a group of twenty employees from a local condo company that has been very generous to Breckenridge. They were major contributors to our new community center, housing the library and meeting rooms, and just gave 1 million dollars to the Summit Foundation, a group the benefits many Summit County organizations.
This is a horrible situation. Great company, terrible employees. I feel as though every person on that trip has some responsibility for what happened. Why didn't they stop this guy? They must have all known about the fire ban. Next time you're on a trip, and someone does something really wrong, speak up. Intervene! Same thing in life, speak up! Don't just watch it happen.
kneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015   #46
cedar city, Utah
The bystander effect is a huge concern in group environments. Getting people to confront peers in situations like this has been shown to be effective deterrent but creating that trust and willingness is difficult. I am personally not comfortable indicting an entire group with the limited information we currently have. I have seen how much happens in big groups and how little individuals can know, even in close quarters.

I definitely support the idea that if you know something that is going down is unsafe or unethical to call it out for prevention.

Sad that this group is associated with philanthropy. I would hope their values and commitment to their causes are greater then their self-interest in this case.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016   #47
Grand Junction, Colorado
Dog Island perpetrator to pay restitution

Breckenridge man to pay restitution for ruining campground |
erinmcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016   #48
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
How did they come up with $23k as restitution? It doesn't make anyone close to whole again. The economic loss alone from not being able to use the campsite for the next 5 years would add up to this.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016   #49
from the comments below the links story:

The “restitution” paid by this selfish idiot only covers the professional costs. He put those lives in danger. The REAL costs were ignored. Trees have indigenous value as a live interacting creature of its environment. Man is finally waking to this value. Basically, at the low end, the REAL VALUE of the destroyed trees at $152/year = $152,000 per tree.(After researching several sites, this amount seemed reasonable) Indigenous value of the trees and shrubs absolutely needed to be taken into consideration for true restitution. Once again our “leaders” have allowed for the destruction of the People’s resources without reasonable compensation.
Jamie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016   #50
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
That person must have their math wrong. No way those trees are 1000 years old. Especially if they were cottonwoods.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote