Old 08-21-2015   #31
Denver, Colorado
Timelapse of Wildfire From Mee Canyon

We were camped in the Mee Canyon campground (I think Mee #4 or #5) and I was excited to shoot a timelapse of the milky way since we were one day past from the new moon, but I ended up getting a timelapse of the wildfire instead. The video is grainy due to the ash/dust that got caked on my lens, so my apologies for that.

Here is a Vimeo link if you want to check it out:

hiphopanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015   #32
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Nice work Hipho. Thats one of the most BA time lapses I've ever seen

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015   #33
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Took me awhile to orient myself with the video, hipho, but that is amazing. Thanks for posting it.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015   #34
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
That was a truly amazing video, the kind of stuff you see professionals taking.
Thanks for posting!!
"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015   #35
Grand Junction, Colorado
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
But my pitch fork was already in hand!

Cosmonaught, the photo of the fire is quite impressive. I think it was very wise of your group to pack up shop(albeit in the middle of the night with small kids).

I get that the identities of the instigators should probably stay private for now, but has anyone confirmed that their party made it out safely?
Whether they were responsible for the fire or not, in the end the only thing that matters is that no one was hurt. I think that was the primary concern of our group even as we were packing up our camp and putting on the water that night. Thanks for grounding the conversation pirate, and to answer your question, even the nimrods that started it got out safe.

I'd also like to echo Andy H. and openboat's sentiment that we allow justice to take its course. Based on the update below, from a member of our party, it sounds like there will be plenty of legal ramifications and public shame for the responsible parties, without resorting to trial-by-internet.

- My friend at work is friends with the BLM folks at Ruby.. According to them, the fire was set by a boating group full of adults.. She just texted me this: "My friend says the'll be charged for the fire suppression costs: 2 helicopters, 30 firefighters, food, the BLM folks who have to go assess the damage etc. she guesstimates around $100,000. The trip leader and the guy who admitted having the fireworks will be held responsible. Puts quite the serious spin on being the trip leader in the permit." -
cchines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015   #36
cedar city, Utah
Thanks for the update. Glad there are legal consequences in the form of financial restitution.

Isn't that the 2nd or 3rd human caused fire down there in a decade? Hate to see some of the few remaining cottonwood galleries burn down as they don't seem to be recruiting as well in the post-dam era.

Glad all are safe.

restrac2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015   #37
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Ash and dust storms with wind gust.

I docked at Dog Island yesterday and took a bunch of pictures of the sad carnage but will post them if someone can briefly tell me the easiest way to post them.
The effects continue to plague campers at Split, Black Rocks and Mee Corner unfortunately as we learned Friday night. As the strong winds came up, we thought it had lit back up, but it wasn't smoke just tons of ash and wind erosion from the aftermath of the fire. It created a heavy ash/dust storm that blew down to our camp at Mee corner.our tent windows were down and we were filled with ash dust all inside the tent.....lesson learned. So if the wind comes up and starts gusting....expect heavy ash up or down river.
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #38
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Easiest way to upload them is to click the "post reply" on the bottom left under the last post. Then go to "manage attachments" and choose the files you want.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #39
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Though stopping at Dog Island and walking around may be tempting, please remember it is very dangerous to walk around a burn scar. We have had reports of full cottonwoods and branches falling. The ground can still be unstable and hazardous to walk on without proper footwear. Please refrain from stopping at the island and just observe from the river. Stay safe out there!
BLM Ruby Horsethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #40
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Surprised this has not been posted but the asshole who started this fire was a 36 year old man from Breck.

Breckenridge man accused of igniting fire on Dog Island |

cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote