Old 08-20-2015   #21
A friend of mine was with the BLM ranger group camped at Black Rocks, down there doing a river cleanup and told me about this. Said the party who started the fire was stopped by the ranger and issued citations. So BLM knows who they are and hopefully will face serious charges. They not only did significant resource damage, but put a lot of people in danger.

Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #22
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Fughit. Name names. They were apprehended on site and on public property. You don't get any expectation of privacy when you commit a crime like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #23
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
Dog Island burned down

curious andy h. how does asking names make me suspect of vigilante action? but I do dearly love old cottonwood trees so . . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
stuntsheriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #24
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Did they write down a name in the register? Any adults in this party should be publically named. if I get caught red handed setting my neigbors house on fire my name will be publically mentioned (as it should be). If they already signed off on their BLM citation this is an admission of guilt. Actually, somebody should be in jail right now.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #25
Durango, Colorado
Dog Island Burn

We were camped at Mee 2 when the sheriff came to tell us about the fire. He didn't evacuate us, but did tell us to be ready should the fire make a move in our direction as we had to pass it to get out.

To break a fire ban is selfish enough, but to bring fireworks into the equation is just plain stupid. Juveniles or not, they knowingly broke the law, and their privilege of floating rivers should be rescinded. If you can't respect the land - stay off of it.

Besides, it's not just the land - I've read four other stories of families who had to evacuate in the middle of the night, and/or campers who were afraid for their safety. Want to make a stupid decision that effects your own life? That's your right. When it begins to effect others - it's not OK.

You can view the photos/videos I have here:

The videos show the helicopter making water dumps. He made at least 30 passes while we were floating by. The train tracks were packed with crews coming in and out, bringing in equipment and supplies. Just some of the additional associated costs outside of the obvious loss of land that should be absorbed by the guilty party as well.
WilliamsCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #26
cedar city, Utah
Doxxing can be a valid tool in the most extreme situation (i.e. when people with power and money use their privilege to avoid consequences). But these individuals are currently known by relevant officials, have been served paperwork and are involved in due process. It seems fair to allow that process to unfold; as I have previously stated, I sincerely hope they receive significant penalties for the damage and expensive resources their actions required. Until then I do not see any benefit to calling for publicly naming on this forum; we have seen far too many incidents on the internet recently where that information is used for harmful purposes.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #27
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by stuntsheriff View Post
curious andy h. how does asking names make me suspect of vigilante action?
Good point, and I apologize for the assumption. There's just something about seeing your avatar with Burt Reynolds pulling back an arrow about to kill an evil-doer on the river... There's also the possibility that an invitation to get names out in the public could lead to someone deciding it would be an easy way to settle a grudge or just screw with someone totally unrelated to the fire.

Sure, the real info will be public soon enough, if someone links to an article, or to the cop's website, that's fine. Internet heresay isn't the way to deal with something serious like this.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #28
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Besides, Burt is a southeast sort of redneck. Here in the West we have our own code of redneck

Pictures & Photos from Hang 'Em High (196 - IMDb
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #29
C. Springs, Colorado
I'd like to know the names of those I care not to ever boat with. Sooner or later...the media will make their names it a bunch of buzzards...
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #30
Wolf Hole, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
The names of any juveniles will not be released to the public. In fact, juveniles generally cannot be criminally charged in the federal system. The BLM would have to turn over the investigation to local jurisdiction so they can use state law. If the BLM ranger actually issued federal citations, then I assume they were issued to adults in the group. Citations for the fireworks would be a misdemeanor case and only the first step in a wildland fire case. The agency then has the option to file a civil proceeding to collect restitution for the cost of fire suppression and value of resources damaged in the fire. The civil case is usually a much bigger deal in terms of monetary judgment. The down side in this case is that cottonwoods can't be assessed on the value of commercial timber. The BLM may have to make a case for rehabilitation costs to restore the aesthetics.

Domar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote