Old 08-21-2013   #11
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by solboater View Post
So Duce do you have any solutions to these issues? Personally I think it is a shame the way the boaters on the Rogue are hyper competitive in regard to camps. I would be very grateful for a mechanism to take the stress out of finding a camp, particularly below Paradise. My current solution is to only guide lodge to lodge trips and only do four day private trips, which only helps a little.
I did not like the idea at first, but having reservable camp spots on the Main Salmon was amazing. Not all camps are reservable, just the more popular camps or the camps where you have to go out on a limb to get it. For example, last camp for a few miles or before hitting a large rapid. On our 8 day trip, we had 4 nights reserved. It took the stress out of racing to camp since we knew that the camp would be empty when we arrived, so we could spend the day enjoying the river, hiking and taking our time.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #12
Southern, Oregon
I personally try to get in 2-3 trips prior to the peak summer season. I also prefer smaller groups so I don't have to race for a camp spot. As for a solution, I don't have an answer for that other than expect the larger more popular spots to be taken. I suppose assigning some of the larger spots might help however; I don't know enough about that system to offer a experienced opinion. On anther note Dulog camp looked more appealing this year. Maybe I just noticed it more with the low water.

Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #13
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
In June we launched on the deschutes and the guides took the private ramp, there were no check in Rangers. The July trip we took had a Ranger, so the private ramp had only private Rangers. It doesn't make much sense why they don't have a traditional ramp for the guides and a launch ramp for private boaters.
I've had as much trouble with private boaters at the take out as I have with guides.
I'll say this, the last time I went we had a last minute addition to my trip, and I forgot to get an extra permit the day of. I paid to have my van driven to the bottom, so I didn't have a vehicle. One of the Rangers asked a guide bus to haul me to town, and they did at no charge. The guy was super cool, and asked for nothing in return.
The point of the story is this; for the bad things that happened to you that day, somewhere on that river a guide helped someone, maybe saved someone, and contributed to the economy. Since it is a popular river and lots of non-whitewater people like us do use the river and pay more to do so, we have places like the Oasis, Imperial lodge, and Deschutes pizza company while we go there too.
I'm a little surprised that a raft got that close to you without noticing. I have my head on a swivel in a raft and a car. I'm just starting to take my littles down stuff like that, and I've never had a raft run in to me like that. (I can't remember the last time someone intended on hitting me like that either)
Sorry for your bad experience.

Learch is offline   Reply With Quote