Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2008   #31
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyloo View Post
Summit AP your obviously an idiot. Dumb Ass Hope you choke.
Daisyloo, despite your horrible attitude of wishing death upon those you disagree with online, I'll still happily help you out on the river or in the mountains if you need help whether as a good samaritan or a professional rescuer. While I don't work for either agency mentioned here, you never know when you might need me or someone else on this forum.

Old 07-12-2008   #32

Georgia, Georgia
Hey Summit Ap or is your real name Pete. Sure funny you both are EMT and both live in Eagle. Pete grow some balls you know your crew probably screwed up and you are trying to discombobulate a good person who apparently doesn't know the area. You quote that you were not there right. Stick to that one. I think that you were. I dont think I would benifit MUCH from your help. THANKS ANYWAY I WANT TO LIVE!!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2008   #33
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyloo View Post
Hey Summit Ap or is your real name Pete. Sure funny you both are EMT and both live in Eagle. Pete grow some balls you know your crew probably screwed up and you are trying to discombobulate a good person who apparently doesn't know the area. You quote that you were not there right. Stick to that one. I think that you were. I dont think I would benifit from your help. RIGHT!!!!!!
Wrong. I live at 9,300ft in Summit County, not Eagle (which is 6,600ft). My name is AP. Thus my alias is SummitAP. I have been a member here for over a year. I didn't create a name just to attack other people like you did. All this information is easily seen by anyone with an inkling of knowledge.

You are a good example of this:

I do have a problem with people passing off hearsay as truth over the internet when it reflects poorly on dozens and dozens of professional rescuers, especially when they continue to do so after aspects of the hearsay have been shown to be false.
Old 07-12-2008   #34

Georgia, Georgia
Good one PETE. You can copy and paste. This explains it all.
Old 07-13-2008   #35

Georgia, Georgia
By the way Pete or "Summit AP" I reread this whole thread and you were the one questioning surgass's where abouts the whole thread. This is highly suspicious. Now all the sudden "Pete" has come into the picture. Like I said irony. WOW way to go Pete abuse the innocent. Sorry but your a fraud
Old 07-13-2008   #36

DENVER, Colorado
I'm asking that everyone quit attacking each other. This is not what I ever wanted. I have received several messages letting me know that there are a lot of people who use this site to be callous. I only wanted to vent and understand why a copter could not pick up a victim on the river. I understand that there may be a mix up about which EMS arrived on scene but regardless a life was lost. I have to respect myself and know I'm doing the right thing for future occurrences. Please respect that I'm sorry if I made a mistake I will find out further on Monday and if I'm wrong I will write a huge letter on GOOGLE and anywhere else I need to. I do not owe anyone an apology except Justin's family. Anyone else I will only admit I was wrong and carry on with my plans to make this right regardless of who was responsible.
Old 07-13-2008   #37
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
surgass01, You don't owe Justin's family an apology. It sounds like you did everything you could. You are not indebted to "make this [death] right" because there is no more right for you to make. You tried to help someone in need on the river. You lived up to the boater's ideal. What happened is a hard thing.
Old 07-13-2008   #38

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Daisy out of every thing I have seen on the buzz, what you have posted is sick. Wishing death on another boater or even just a person is f^*%ed up! If you need help I think that everyone would do there best to help anyone else out. I really think that you should just not type anything for along time cause we do not need people like you with your thoughts.

Surgass What you did was great! My hat comes off to you. You really are a great person for doing what. I am just so sorry that it hit you the way it did. Just know you did your best and that is all you can do. Once the meat wagon comes it is out of your hand and in theres. You really did do a great job. THANKS
Old 07-13-2008   #39

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Similar experience - but with Denver EMS

If it's any consolation, I had a similar experience 6 years ago with the EMS in Denver. Myself and another woman (in a medical office literally 40 yards across a parking lot from Porter Adventist Hospital) were doing CPR on a man who had collapsed, stopped breathing, his pulse was very strong, then it was gone. We took turns doing CPR on him, while the other called 911. We also requested help from physicians down the hall...nobody would come down with a crash cart, nonetheless come down as support. The ER at Porter hospital refused to send anybody over to help for liability reasons. So we continued CPR for 30 minutes before EMS strolled in. There was no sense of urgency, as they rummaged through their gear, etc. Nonetheless, myself and the other woman involved continued CPR for another 5 minutes before these clowns relieved us.

I can also relate with some of the emotions you are having surgass01. I worked in a Level 1 Trauma ER for 4 years prior to that situaton and had alot of exposure to CORs. But it was very different handling an emergency like that outside of the controlled setting of an ER. I was very stressed about it days afterwards. I had nightmares. I felt more attached and responsible for what went down and was constantly wondering what I could have been done differently.

It's commendable that you hung in there so long. You gave it your best shot...It's good to know there are people like you out there...

Jen
Old 07-13-2008   #40

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Surgass01, four hours of single or two person CPR is difficult anywhere your efforts should be lauded. After 4 hours on a raft doing compressions and breathing for someone it is normal to get attached. You were struggling in a confined space to provide basic life support. As you know the chances of an individual surviving after initiation of CPR is very low, one in hundreds of thousands. The chances decrease exponentially after 8 minutes without an AED and ALS. His difficulty breathing and maintaining a pulse was secondary to his traumatic brain injury. Which no one outside of emergency room setting is able to correct for very long. As has been said before some injuries are just lethal.

You did a good and noble thing. You gave him a better shot than most of us will ever get, you took care of him. Now you need to take care of yourself. Clearly you are suffering from Post traumatic stress disorder. It is very real and can affect you for a long time. I hope you are able to take solace in the fact that you did all that you could (though you may feel you could have done more) in a primitive setting. I am sure his family thanks you for your heroic effort in the face of adversity. He sounds like a very interesting and dynamic fellow with many people that love him dearly.

As an aside you shouldn’t prohibit your kids from paddling solely because they are poor swimmers; paddlers are terrible swimmers that is why they are usually in boats.

Closed Thread