Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2008   #21

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Sounds as though surgass01 did the best thing they could under the circumstances given. No one can say anything negative against someone who tries their best with their given skill set to save someone's life. This was a draining and taxing experience for all involved and for anyone who was not there to critisize or say anything negativaly to those involved is disrespectful and down right inappropriate. Questioning why the death happened in the first place is respectable and needs to happen. Attacking those who have voiced concern against something they felt was done inaccurately or not to par with rescue procedures is simply harmful to this discussion.

If you were not there or have no idea what you are talking about. Do not comment on this thread, let's use this as a oppurtunity (as sad as it is) to improve the emergency response systems of those involved and not attack those simply on scene doing their best to help. Even if you are an EMS person w/ years of experience it is possible some errors were made. Not saying this is the case but if it was this is an oppurtunity to learn from those mistakes and better the all-around ems services. If no mistakes were made, what caused the accident in the 1st place? Could this have been prevented? What other factors played a role in this death?

Hopefully more will come of this than attacking people and pointing fingers.

Paul

Old 07-12-2008   #22

DENVER, Colorado
Thanks Paul this does help me understand that I do not know if Justin would have lived or not. I should not accuse anyone of wrong doing, because no one really knows. I'm very pained about this situation not eating or sleeping. I simply went on a river trip with my husband not expecting my whole life to change. Justin was a very experienced kayak er. We were about to buy my boys 13 and 14 inflatable duckies. I will not be buying them now. It helps me to think maybe Justin coming past us that day may have saved one of my boys lives. They are not strong swimmers and we were selfishly trying to figure a way to get more gear down the river. This helps me get through this most days. Thanks again to everyone support and I apologize to the ones I offended.

Old 07-12-2008   #23

e-town, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGamache View Post
Sounds as though surgass01 did the best thing they could under the circumstances given. No one can say anything negative against someone who tries their best with their given skill set to save someone's life. This was a draining and taxing experience for all involved and for anyone who was not there to critisize or say anything negativaly to those involved is disrespectful and down right inappropriate. Questioning why the death happened in the first place is respectable and needs to happen. Attacking those who have voiced concern against something they felt was done inaccurately or not to par with rescue procedures is simply harmful to this discussion.

If you were not there or have no idea what you are talking about. Do not comment on this thread, let's use this as a oppurtunity (as sad as it is) to improve the emergency response systems of those involved and not attack those simply on scene doing their best to help. Even if you are an EMS person w/ years of experience it is possible some errors were made. Not saying this is the case but if it was this is an oppurtunity to learn from those mistakes and better the all-around ems services. If no mistakes were made, what caused the accident in the 1st place? Could this have been prevented? What other factors played a role in this death?

Hopefully more will come of this than attacking people and pointing fingers.

Paul
well said paul, that is atricky are kinda in the middle of knowwhere, makes me think about when thing go wrong on gore, nobodys coming to help for quite some time!
Old 07-12-2008   #24

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
EMS response to "Death on the Upper Colorado"

Hi, Sculpin here;

My real name is Pete Brandes and my real job is Operations Manager for the Eagle County Ambulance District in Edwards, Colorado, the EMS agency repeatedly referred to in surgass01's posts as "Eagle County EMS". The death of Justin Brindley on June 20th was a tragedy pure and simple. I read his online obituary and was moved at the unrealized potential lost by this young man's untimely death. My heart goes out to his family, fiancee, and friends. surgass01's attempts at resuscitation were also heroic, and I can understand her anguish over the end result. What I cannot understand is the "ready, fire, aim" way in which this post was written. I logged onto MountainBuzz this noon to check on the flows in the Colorado at Glenwood, as my son was going down to the play park. I usually check the safety forum when I'm on for professional reasons; we respond to a fair amount of river calls in the summer, and besides that, I'm a boater too. In fact, better than half of the Paramedics and EMTs in my agency are boaters and buzzards as well. You can imagine my growing horror as I read surgass01's post and her description of "Eagle County EMS" and that "ambulance from Vail" and how the sheriff and coroner both agreed what a terrible service it is. I want to state for the record that this call occurred in GRAND COUNTY AND WAS RESPONDED TO BY GRAND COUNTY EMS. When a 911 call comes in from Radium, it hits the Eagle County 911 dispatch center in Vail first, and is then transferred to Grand County. While an Eagle County Ambulance unit with two Paramedics, along with a Paramedic Supervisor initially responded, we were turned around shortly thereafter when Grand County arrived at the scene. This is standard protocol since the incident occurred in Grand County and we were not asked to provide mutual aid. Again, NO EAGLE COUNTY AMBULANCE UNIT ARRIVED AT THIS SCENE. I can understand surgass01's anguish over this incident as I have been a Paramedic in Eagle County for over 20 years and have been to many similar. It is always tragic and frustrating when a young person dies an untimely death. What I do not understand is making accusations like the ones contained in this post without checking facts. I will not attempt to speculate what went on at Radium since I wasn't there. What I do know is the our agency employs full-time, well trained, competent and professional Paramedics who enjoy a state-wide reputation for excellence not just clinically, but as EMS professionals in every sense of the word. They deserve better than to be trashed on this forum for something they were never involved in.

I would invite anyone who has questions to send me a private message or post here and I'll be glad to discuss it more; just get the facts straight first please.
Old 07-12-2008   #25

DENVER, Colorado
Pete, please accept my apologies if this is true. I will be the first to admit I do not know what county we were in. I was told by the sheriff Darren that this was a problem and they were fighting for better personnel. Now the coroner Cindy Ellis was from Kremmling she said the ambulance company was from Vail. I can only go by these two people who know better then I would. I did not look at the ambulance or any badges, You see I was only focused on the person injured. This was a fiasco, I wont recant this and never will. I will take back that I truly don't know which county it was. So I'm truly sorry to everyone NOT involved and not sorry to the ones that were. I'm leaving this site for good now because what I first posted about has been lost in translation. I wanted to find out why they could not pick the patient up on site and I received my answer. Take care to you all I hope you all have someone like me God for bid if anything happens to you or your family. God help you if it is the CLOWNS that showed up this given day. Thanks to all that sent private messages.
Old 07-12-2008   #26

e-town, Colorado
welcome to the buzz Pete!
Old 07-12-2008   #27
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Surgass01, your good samaritan actions are most commendable in this tragedy.

But, you sullied the name of the innocent, and you are STILL repeating hearsay about poor service from people who you admit were confused about what service they were speaking ill about! I wasn't there, but I do know how GCEMS runs their show so your description of two ambulances with non functioning equipment is extremely hard to believe. Also, they do run BLS-only ambulances. The second arriving vehicle would probably have been their ALS/ILS unit.

I think the right thing to do is ask the moderators to take this entire travesty of a thread down.
Old 07-12-2008   #28
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Google "eagle county ems" and this thread is hit #1, no quotes it is still #58
Mods should kill this thread
Old 07-12-2008   #29

Georgia, Georgia
I usually don't respond to threads because I only care about what is going on with the river. This is my fourth year guiding on the Colorado. I live in Georgia during my off season. I think Surgass01 has been wrong and inaccurate on somethings but look you all surgass is doing a commendable thing by speaking out for us all. Would you all want someone who doesn't really care about you to show up on the scene. Surgass obviously really does care about anyone and everyone it shows by taking on you all. Surgass has been beaten up by most of you. You all start off saying good and end with bad. I would like to see how you all would respond if it was someone you knew. Surgass has admitted her mistakes and I respect that most of all. I have lost respect for this forum and all the people who say they love the river. Good Riddance to you all. Hope I dont come across any of you all.
Old 07-12-2008   #30

Georgia, Georgia
Oh by the way Surgass send me a private message and I will give you a free run down the Colorado. I would want you on my raft trip any time. Thanx for all you did. Summit AP your obviously an idiot. How many people Google Eagle county EMT. Dumb Ass Hope you choke. Your only chance would be if Surgass was there.

Closed Thread