Old 05-13-2012   #11
Do you have contact info for the pertainent parties that should be contacted? That would make it easy for slugs like me to get in the fight.

Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #12
Are you guys a bunch of sheep and will just roll over when they do this?

How will you feel when Clear Creek hits 400 later this week?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I read the post article about kayakers losing out on clear creek. I heard something on NPR this morning about kayakers missing out on clear creek. I'm pretty impressed that the kayaker message is getting this much play. Nice work Patty contacting the media.

I tried to reason with CDOT, and made some pleas to a couple of politicians, but have not heard anything back.

Basil, I completely agree with you. You shouldn't just sit there like a sheep. You should go up there tonight and run clear creek, get a ticket from the state patrol, and get your mug shot up on the news for civil disobience. If you don't do it, we know you are just talking shit on the buzz. Thanks for taking one for the team.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #14
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Originally Posted by PattyNYCO View Post
I was just interviewed by Channel 4 after writing to them begging for help. Please eatch tonight's 10pm news.
Way to go Patty!
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #15
I think there are ways to get the message out without getting arrested.

If we can't paddle Clear Creek, have a party where the road is closed at the bottom of the canyon? Thursday 6:30? If we get enough people, that will get on the news.

Government notices when people are motivated to come out in groups.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #16
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Luckily for us as kayakers we can stil use the canyon if we choose to. It's just not as convenient to lap Black Rock and Lower. We can still put in and run the entire thing. Other users of the canyon are not so lucky. It's a shame that a spokesperson for recreational visitors to the canyon are not invited to these meetings to help mitigate these type of issues. I read that it's the kayakers that are whining about not being able to use the canyon. At the end of the day a closure such as this also effects other users: rock climbers, fishermen, mtn bikers, families that use the river for after work/school entertainment and picnics. I would bet that if someone did a survey this closure will impact 100s of day users of all types.

I have a hard time believing that with some planning and effort that a win/win situation could not be reached.
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #17
I'm all crotchety about this one. I like to sit naked while reading a book in the middle of the river at mile marker 71.5 and scare the crap out of river enthusiasts as they float by. Once, I even made this girl swim. Thankfully she had some turkey legs strapped to her neck to help lessen the blows against the rocks in the riverbed.

Drive up Golden Gate Canyon to Robinson Hill road which takes you up to the NE Centennial Cone parking area. Continue past and onto Douglas Mountain Drive which takes you back down to the Clear Creek side just upstream of the HWY 119 & 6 junction in the canyon. Put in and paddle to town through section between Kermits and Blackrock, Blackrock, and Lower. Portage what you need to. If time permits, just put in at Kermits...the shuttle might be shorter.

This also could be a good opportunity to practice your expedition skills. There is a small drainage accessed from the Westernmost end of the Beaver Brook trail that connects with Clear Creek upstream of the Narrows. Vehicle access would be off of I70 and the hike would nearly be all downhill from the trailhead. The trail steeply descends for about a mile to the small creek, and then it would be on you to hike the "path" on down to Clear Creek. The Beaver Brook Trail climbs away from the stream at this point heading for Lookout Mountain, so there is no path...follow the stream.
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #18
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Although the canyon is closed, the hwy dept is allowing semi trucks from the quarry through.
kayapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #19
Louisville, Colorado
It is crazy that I drove throughout the canyon last night and saw no signage about this closure. I did see all the stakes that likely mark the route of the cable. This is for cell service in the canyon? I am envisioning lots more emergency calls about swimming boaters, more accidents from texting drivers, and a few lives saved from faster response.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #20
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah but where will the jerky van be? I like to buy a little elk jerky at the take out for uppers, it 's a tradition..... are we really looking at 400 this week?

What's the Jerky Van really selling anyway? I cant imagine anyone stops there twice for four dollar an ounce Jerkey.

He's been in business longer than I've lived in CO, so he's doing something right.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote