Old 05-19-2009   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Brown's Canyon - Log in Widowmaker

Just got this in an e-mail and thought I'd pass it along -

ATTENTION:

We have received a report of a log (2’-3’ diameter) blocking the left channel at Divider Rock/Pyramid Rock at Widowmaker rapid in Browns Canyon . PLEASE USE THE RIGHT CHANNEL. AHRA Staff will try to have this removed by the end of the week. At this time it is a single log and not a log jam.

Pass this information along to all your staff, guides and other interested parties.

Thank you.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #2

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
Just got this in an e-mail and thought I'd pass it along -

ATTENTION:

We have received a report of a log (2-3 diameter) blocking the left channel at Divider Rock/Pyramid Rock at Widowmaker rapid in Browns Canyon . PLEASE USE THE RIGHT CHANNEL. AHRA Staff will try to have this removed by the end of the week. At this time it is a single log and not a log jam.

Pass this information along to all your staff, guides and other interested parties.

Thank you.
We ran it today and didn't see it though I always run the right (except at really low flow) so I may just have missed it. Wood is definitely on the move so the situation could change at any time.

Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #3

There was a log in the left channel as of Sat 5/23. Go right!
jworthyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #4
Old School

Downtown Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I ran over it on Sunday. It is indeed about 2' in diameter and reaches from House Rock in the center all the way over to the LEFT bank. At 2230 CFS (stated flow that morning), I went over it in the center of the LEFT channel. There was enough water pouring over it that I didn't realize it was a log until I was going over it. Fugly! Just run to the right past the toilet bowl and stay right over the drop past House Rock (guess they call it Pyramid / Divider Rock now...).
ExEssBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExEssBoater View Post
I ran over it on Sunday. It is indeed about 2' in diameter and reaches from House Rock in the center all the way over to the right bank. At 2230 CFS (stated flow that morning), I went over it in center. I didn't realize it was a log until I was going over it. Fugly! Just run to the right past the toilet bowl and stay right over the drop past House Rock (guess they call it Pyramid / Divider Rock now...).
I think ExEssBoater is referring to a different spot. The log is in the left channel at Pyramid/Divider/Decision (whatever you call it). Sounds like he's talking about the log river right closer to House Rock. A raft on our trip flipped on the log. At the level it was at on Sat, you couldn't see it from upstream until it was too late. Stay right. Kayaks can probable go over it, but no good for rafts.
jworthyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #6
Old School

Downtown Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
No I was talking about the same spot Jworthyco. I just need more coffee this early in the morning. I edited and fixed the post. The log is on the left and blocks the whole channel.
ExEssBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
We have received a report of a log (2-3 diameter) blocking the left channel at Divider Rock/Pyramid Rock at Widowmaker rapid in Browns Canyon . PLEASE USE THE RIGHT CHANNEL. AHRA Staff will try to have this removed by the end of the week. At this time it is a single log and not a log jam.
The log was indeed there on Saturday May 23 and Sunday May 24, and by noon on Monday May 25 it was gone. Rangers at Hecla confirmed it had been removed earlier Monday morning.
dirtbagpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
That must have been quite a feat; it was a big log with a lot of water. Thanks AHRA!

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote