Old 07-21-2011   #1

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bridge down across the Colo. - Below Silt

Went for a float tonight in the duckie (thank god not the raft) and down between Silt and Rifle there is a bridge across one of the channels. This is a channel wide strainer!!!! This is the old foot bridge going to the cabin on an island down by the gravel pits. The channel is river right, and is right above the bank that was washed out and turned one of the old gravel pits into a lake joining the river. (real weird eddies in there) I will try to get some pics up later. If you are floating Silt to Rifle stay in the main channel!!!

Happy floating.....

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks for posting this Moon. We went past this last week and wondered if we should take that side channel since it had always been a fun little jaunt off the main flow going under that old bridge. Our intuition told us not to and when we looked back up that channel we could see barbed wire fully across the water! Now to hear your report that the whole bridge is down makes me feel so grateful for solid river sense and intuition. We had two full rafts of children... In hind sight, we should have posted something immediately. I'm glad we have other Buzzards out there thinking for us too! Thanks again and continue to enjoy that peaceful section of the C...in the main flow!

Old 07-25-2011   #3

Silt, Colorado
I've called the BLM, DOW, Garfield County Dispatch, Garco SAR, and notified the local fly fishing guides as well. I hope everyone gets the word out, this will kill someone. Would love to get a group together and remove this threat. I've got a oxy/actec. torch.....just saying
Old 07-25-2011   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The landowner may not even be aware the bridge is down. You can find who owns it from the Garfield County Assessor.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #5

Silt, Colorado
Thanks Andy, I've got some friends in the realty business that are helping out on that end as well.
Old 07-26-2011   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
The landowner may not even be aware the bridge is down. You can find who owns it from the Garfield County Assessor.

-AH
I was thinking the same thing Andy. With the high water this year, we had some other friends who had a bridge come down and they have struggled to get a replacement up and it has been very costly. It seems crucial to work with the land owners to see what their intentions are. Perhaps a reasonable solution, at least immediately, is to create some kind of visible signage that alerts people of the dangers down that channel. Even with that option, it seems important to work with the land owners to verify that they are cool with that.
Old 07-26-2011   #7

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Would be up for assistance in removing if you set up a party for removal

Brushfire830 is offline   Reply With Quote