Old 09-14-2013   #31
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
... than I don't have anything else to say...
I thought you didn't have anything else to say Mike? Interesting how in your mind everyone on the front range deserves this.

There's obviously never a right time to swim. And I know you know this.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #32
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I never said the front range deserves anything. I never said the storm was karma for nothing... All I said was the sewage was karma for the selfishness during the situation, And yes I grossly disagree with the front range in general but don't wish hardship on anybody..

Obviously there is never a right time to swim, but there is a right time to be human which is empathetic in nature.

what you need to do is not always in line with what you want to do.
Nobody said don't go to gore.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #33
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
"I don't want to help my community cause I'm to busy kayaking during a one in 500 year event" if this what defines us than I don't have anything else to say...
IMHO This is the kind of attitude and behavior that seperates .....the men from the boys ...... the children from adults.....
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #34
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Boof the bejesus outta that flood Kyle!
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #35
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I suppose the skydivers should stop jumping today.

I bet no one can free climb in Colorado today because someone might fall and break their neck.

I guess no one is allowed to paraglide from Mt Zion today in golden.

Guess what? These fine citizens are still living life today. Are they empathizing with victims, yes! Fact is the Guard and Red Cross are only asking for monetary donations, no volunteers. You want to help....offer your home to the evacuated. Selfish would be trying to get your car into Lyons to take pictures today.

Avoid boating directly in the way of live rescues, fatalities, etc. just because the source of our sport is the cause of the tragedy doesn't mean it is our fault or should be restricted.

PS... It's illegal to go to the gun range now after the murder on colfax
History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #36
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Some of the most meaningful help we had during our flood was non agency work. We had groups set up a food tent and food was brought in everyday. It is still so dear to my heart, when a friend came to help sandbag and brought a bunch of ready to eat food. A local mission brought starbucks and watermelon one evening. People came afterwards to help muck out. There are lots of ways to help aside from the red cross or agencies. Local missions and churches will have things going on if you want to drive, deliver, whatever. But volunteer work does not come looking for you, and it rarely entails what you'd like to do or think you have best to offer. Actions of compassion and kindness to those affected is valuable too, not just dragging people out of the water.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #37
Denver, Colorado
Cutch - a sincere FU. You don't get it.

When folks got buried outside of Loveland Pass I didn't keep looking for freshies, I went to see if I could help and when my assistance wasn't needed, I got the fuck out of the way. I'm not saying don't live life, just don't make a difficult situation harder for others to stroke your ego.
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #38
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
CUTCH! You saying the rescuers get paid very very well to do their job!!! Is complete B.S. you obviously haven't been a e.m.s. worker. Most fire departments here are volunteers average EMT if paid is $10/ hr paramedics pay is $15/hr. We put our lives in danger to help others because we are helpers. We do it because we love our jobs. We don't need extra victims just because you want to play during a disaster. There are other high water places for you to boat. But you are an arrogant ass to think the people out saving the lives of the disaster victims are paid very very well.the only paid fire department in boulder county is the city of boulder department.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #39
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Nothing kills a conversation like a good ol' FU.

Many thanks to all who are lending a hand in a very difficult situation. I think both sides of this debate would agree that we've been mismanaging our public lands for many, many decades. A tragic situation like this is a symptom of a larger systemic problem. There are no easy answers here. There's a very good chance we will continue to experience difficult situations like this in the decades to come. Greedy, selfish behavior certainly played a big role in creating these issues. Should we get heated and pissed, start pointing fingers? Clearly there are choices to be made...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #40
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post

Condolences to those that have lost their loved ones to the floods. Praise to those that are rescuing those that need it. And a big middle finger to anyone that tells you it's selfish/wrong/illegal to go kayaking.
So, let's see. Cause you have some whitewater experience, are CERTIFIED by God, and actually own a PFD, that means all the civil servants ought fall down at your feet and thank you for coming out to distract them from whatever they are doing..........seems to me, the public servant who told you if you are indeed SWR certified, then you ought know enough to stay away hit it right on the head. You wanna help? Stay out of the way, or contact the front office people and see can they use a self important gas bag.

And the CDOT guy promising to be the first out of town when the siren sounded?? You think his job description includes risking his life to stick around waiting for people to get their head out of their ass and move? You think because he's a public servant he should automatically be the first to die while the rest of you live?? Now, he was a cop or fireman we'd be having a different discussion I'm sure, but the guy is CDOT.

And then you take the opportunity to rant about development and dams and water quality, cause you know, God unloaded a shitload of Karma on those greedy bastards and we ought take the opportunity to acknowledge that...............

and a big middle finger to those who say it's illegal/wrong/selfish to Kayak? I'm sure you mean Kayak while half of the front range is flooding and people are loosing homes and maybe their lives. You know, cause fuck yall, I'm a by GOD KAYAKER, and I bow to no authority, not even the river GODS, and when we got a 500 year flood opportunity, we got some whitewater to tame, and yall can just get the F&*%K out of my way!

You go Opie! You are a fine representative of the Kayaking community.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote