Old 07-11-2011   #1

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Big tree in "Silverthorne section" of Upper Blue

(Note: Rock/Boulder Creek "Blue river Campground" down to Columbine Landing at the bridge is still relatively clean)
There is now a deadly main-channel-wide strainer in the Upper Blue section ABOVE the usual put-in (Sliverthorne town down to the usual rafting put-in above blue river campground). A couple of the bridges near "the ponds" have low clearance, but are OK if people in a raft "duck". The last "concrete bridge" has the lowest clearance. After this, about 1-2 miles above the usual put-in for the "upper blue", the Right channel of current has a large pine tree across the whole current.
This is usually a family friendly class II-III float, but not right now. Smaller currents that braid out to the left in the willows, lead to a clear channel, but it was a pain to line the boat over to one of the micro-braids once we were 50 feet upstream of the strainer.

drjkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #2

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
drjkayak, so...the strainer is above the 'everist' put-in? the everist put in being the one the commercial companies use?

melissawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #3

Frisco, Colorado
No, fortunately, the strainer is above that area.
Old 07-17-2011   #4

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I ran into (around) this same tree river right two weeks ago. small portage no fun.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I am new to area, can someone explain where Everist put in is? And is the float safe now to Green Mountain. Thought is easier to put in at road, which I think is 1st bridge south of Silverthorne and get out at Heeney Rd on Green Mtn. Any ideas?
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #6

The tree

Had a not so fun time with this tree at high water with my family. Definitely would recommend the left channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	3873  
nlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #7

Frisco, Colorado
Nice photo attached above! Everist materials is a big sand & gravel place, about 5 miles North of Silverthorne. Just past there, is a pull-off on the Right where most rafts put-in. I'd recommend taking out at Columbine landing about 3-4 miles downstream at a bridge. Going down to Green Mountain Reservoir entails crossing private land, which is OK as long as you don't get out.
I was finally able to get a picture uploaded of the tree on the right channel. Now that it is low water again, it might not be an issue anymore - but I'm not sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P7100119.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	948.3 KB
ID:	3874  
Old 07-28-2011   #8

A little more map

Here is another. Capote- The float from Columbine to Green Mtn Res is clear last I heard with a class II to III feel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	3875  
nlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #9
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Ate someone's ducky today... literally... family was stuck on the tree.