Old 05-19-2014   #1
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Big Thompson Hazards

I didn't see any threads on the Big T so I'll share what I saw today.

50 meters below the cherry store dam is a near river wide tree. Otherwise the rest of the run to the canyon mouth is clean.

On the main section at the bottom of the 4+ rapid (used to be called heads and tails) there is webbing ratcheted across the river directly in front of the downstream house. There are also fence posts. Not sure who did this but it needs to be removed.

There are 2 trees on the upper section. One is around the Brown Trout bend the other is 400 meters above Paul's house. A chainsaw will make quick work of the upper one to clear branches to duck it or cut a section out that can easily be paddled around.

The top drop on the Gnar section if you've not seen is essentially unrunnable at this level. Most of the water falls under a new huge boulder. With higher water and a sure line the left side should go.

Paul and I paddled the lower section and saw one person below the old park paddling down.

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #2
There were five trees today across the upper section from Mall Rd to the handicap access: two were portages, two were push overs, and one a duck under.

The portages were short. One of the push overs was sketchy with a fast approach. Your experience may vary at flows different from 340 CFS.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014   #3
Drake, Colorado
No tree down at Brown Trout

We just checked - no trees down in the Brown Trout Lane area.

Maybe there is a tree down around the bend downstream from Rainbow Trout Ln - aka Grandpa's Retreat?
troutbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014   #4
There was a log in the the first bend away from the highway upstream of the handicap access. You just got a glimpse of it from the highway as the river turns north.

I think there's a second log between Sleepy Hollow and this last bend because the highway was on river left when we portaged.

Actually the highway is on river left for all five logs.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #5
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I took care of the top 3 trees. The top 2 have branches cut and are easy duck unders and the third one a channel is cut on the left side or you can go over the middle (>300 cfs) with no branches.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote

big thompson