Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 08-14-2009   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
BIG heads up on Bailey... It's gonna be a dangerous run for some time...

Well, unfortunately an 18 wheeler lost it's brakes last night coming down the last steep ass hill into Bailey, crashed through telephone poles (turned um into spliters) and blasted through on coming traffic and all the way into the river. I am VERY sure the guy did not make it from the look of the truck, that is unfortunate for him, but what is going to affect us for sometime is the entire 18 wheeler flat bed full of fresh cut lumber that is now all over the river. I don't mean just a bunch, I mean enough to build a whole f'n house. There were 2x8's, 2x4's, 6x8 plywood sheets... what a f'n mess.

We put on just after this happened and at first we wanted to pick it out of there, but with a 6:30 put on time, and after realiziing the magnitude of this amount of wood, there was no way. This stuff is going to be getting picked out for I don't know how long. For us, it was littered all the way to roughly just before 4 falls proper. But, I am 100% sure that it's past that by now. It was floating by us as we were in the river on the way in... Really lame.

To add... the logs that are mentioned in other posts are no joke. Light was fading for us, and if that throw rope was not graciously left for all to see something peculiar... it could have been a very bad scene. That first one is f'n terrible. with a wave hole created just before it, there would be no way to see it till it was too late. The second log that I am not sure is mentioned also is rather bad at the 300 level. I think that second ones been there since last year, but keep your eyes out at this level. Not sure if you can swim under either.

The run for us was OK for us, as the fore-mentioned wood hadn't gotten into the meat yet, but I feel sure that by now it's got a good chance of being all over the place now. Especially if they bump up flows.

Good news is that at this time, it's nice fresh cut ass white wood and easy to see against that natural back drop.

Keep you eyes peeled.

Craw...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #2

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Truck rolls into South Platte River

Old 08-14-2009   #3
gh

pnw, Washington
Moved to the safety forum and left a redirect.
Old 08-14-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
But think of all the fish habitat it will create. Plus, free materials to finally build our own club house and lounge right at Super.

Remember about 5 years ago when that Pepsi truck crashed and there were cases and cases of Pepsi 20oz. bottles up and down the run for a few years. I heard about one guy who checked every sweepstakes cap to see if he won and 1,000 bottles later he still hadn't won.
Old 08-14-2009   #5

going in tomorrow morning with forrest to start cleaning some of that shit out if anyone wants to help.....
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #6

Indian Hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlee View Post
going in tomorrow morning with forrest to start cleaning some of that shit out if anyone wants to help.....

I could use some 2x6 and 2x4s
Old 08-14-2009   #7

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Right on Sean.. I could be into it as well. BUT, I need to be back in Boulder pretty early 1pm ish. Might not work for me as this will take some time. What time are you showing up?
There are roughly 20-30 plywood sheets pressed against the bottom of the river from the put-in down in many places that I can remember off hand. Most of the 2x4's and 2x8's were either floating in eddies or bridging between rocks. There are two really big strainers of fallen trees just below the "Dream house" that should act as a catchers glove for a good portion... hopefully.
Something really important from a clean up perspective is to consider starting to clean from where the accident was (about 200 yards upstream of the ATF). The bulk (probably 1/2 an 18wheeler full) of the wood was still in the river just below the accident. Assuming that got "cleaned" up last night by the cops or whoever owned that investment, then we could be lucky there... But if not, that stuff is going to continue to make its way down as the river rises.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #8
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
How the heck did that driver suffer only minor injuries!
Old 08-14-2009   #9

Deckers, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008

tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraw View Post
... But if not, that stuff is going to continue to make its way down as the river rises.
DWB should just crank it up to a few grand this weekend.

Tags
bailey