Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 08-14-2009   #11
Front Range Swim Team

FRST, Colorado
Seann...
What time are you going? There are 4 of us planning on going and we plan to bring a few saws.

Craw...
On a scale of 1 to holy shit, how bad is it? I am thinking of "the steeps", and how ugly/scary that crap is going to be if it is a log choke.

What a bunch of crap.

-Mack

cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #12

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04 View Post
How the heck did that driver suffer only minor injuries!
Gracious river gods. You know this guy drank his booty beers

yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #13

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
First off YRD... You are always f'n HEEE LARIOUS. Needed a laugh just then and I got one. Classic. I am telling you I would have bet my house that the driver was not just dead but no more then a full on blood stain. The truck was demolished. Whatever though.. that is his problem, ours is the river.

JMack. I can't really answer that. There was a level of lumber in the river that had us thinking we should just drive home... there were comments of "HOLY SHIT" by all of us. It was more stacked just below the put in. And way more above it. That being said, none of it had meandered as close as the first drop in 4 falls yet. There are two natural (big) strainers that are going to naturally catch a lot of this above 4 falls now.

My guess is that there is at least a third of a flat bed 18 wheeler load in the river from above the put in... down. WTF does that mean Craw? Well, I can't describe it better than that. My hope is that some Bailey mutant that really wants a new torture dungeon/weed shack took a raft down to the "dream house" and got what they needed...

The run from 4 falls down did not have one piece of lumber in it as of 7pm last night.

It's really going to be one of those things that we as paddlers are going to have to be aware of for quite a while. As flows come up and down, this wood is going to shift around. If paddlers over the weekend are going to get it out of the river, I would suggest getting it out HIGH AND DRY for flows that could exceed 1500cfs...

I can get in there on Sunday and am planning to spend a good bit of time helping to toss that shit high on the banks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #14

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Oh, to comment, this isn't a "saw" operation (well it is with the logs below Deer Creek)... This is a get out of your boat and figure how to get 6x8 sheets of plywood off the bottom of the river thing... also paddling up to fairly heavy 2x8's/2x4's and tossing them out of the river. The longest I saw were maybe 8 feet? Most roughly 6 feet long.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #15
Front Range Swim Team

FRST, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraw View Post
My hope is that some Bailey mutant that really wants a new torture dungeon/weed shack took a raft down to the "dream house" and got what they needed...
Dude... that shit right there was hilarious.

Thanks for the info. I have a buddy who ran it today and I am trying to get beta from him. I am bringing the damn saw anyway. I ran it last Sunday and 2 of us were able to easily boat over the right edge of the log below DC. You mentioned 2 though, I am only familiar with the one right at the throw rope. Where is the other one?
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #16

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Chris,

I'll pack some extra z-dragging gear and ropes in case we need to really get at any of those pieces. I don't have a saw, but to go thru 6x8's, we just need to be able to pull and chuck em.

I'll take the lumber over a hazmat and closure to the river if a tanker had gone down. Talk about a season end-er for that one.

Josh
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #17
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Word from the street is that as of today none of the wood has made it's way past 4 Falls. Apparently everything's hung up all over the place in all the class II at the beginning well above the canyon proper. So no hazards yet, but of course that's subject to change, esp. if they increase flows.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #18

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Kevin,

Our crew of 4 is meeting at the takeout at 10:30. If your putting on earlier, stay safe, if your interested in joining, that's the time.

Josh
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #19

forrest was saying leave boulder around 9ish but if you want to go earlier we can make that happen for sure
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #20

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What do you guys think the chance is of having wood issues in Foxton this weekend? I was thinking about driving up for it Sunday...
Anyone run it today?

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey