Old 07-28-2009   #51
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
It's the Law, Bucko!

Little known but still in effect, the Inland Navigation Act of 1868, CRS, as ammended, states that "all able-bodied hands within voice range of the skipper shall, at the skipper's behest, render all aid and nourishment of the type and quantity called for by the skipper".

captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #52

Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
im on your boat but wait...what about the horse...does carrying condoms in the first aid kit make any difference or do the condoms go into the patch kit???Are the people from whale wars going to throw rotting fish at me from an eddy???does the horse need a condom too or will a dry bag be good enough??? is it illegal to swim while drinking or is a ranger with a gun gonna make me drink a bootie beer???what are the new rules???

NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #53

If it is sex with a horse that is also of the "same sex" (married or not), you will have major criminal issues in Utah, whether the horse is drunk or not.
The good news is the firepan is not an issue in Utah.

I'm not an attorney, but I think you are better of with a drunk horse in Colorado than a horse of the same sex in Utah.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #54

Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
if they are going to make any new laws about drinking then i got a few suggestions...dirnking and dialing...drinking and texting...drinking and replying in this forum...oh shit gotta go
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #55

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprishmael View Post
Little known but still in effect, the Inland Navigation Act of 1868, CRS, as ammended, states that "all able-bodied hands within voice range of the skipper shall, at the skipper's behest, render all aid and nourishment of the type and quantity called for by the skipper".
That's more like it! Now the question is, does this take precedence over BUI legislation?
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #56

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If it is sex with a horse that is also of the "same sex" (married or not), you will have major criminal issues in Utah, whether the horse is drunk or not.
The good news is the firepan is not an issue in Utah.

I'm not an attorney, but I think you are better of with a drunk horse in Colorado than a horse of the same sex in Utah.
Good point but the fire pan might help set the mood
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #57

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Unstable? S.C. man on probation for horse sex has sex with same horse again

Busted!
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #58

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
USERNAME: Devils advocate: The only issue is not just 'running other people over', hurting other people. It is just plain an issue of public safety. If someone ends up only hurting themselves physically due to a alcohol related boating accident, the ripple effects of that accident go to rafting passengers, family and friends, witnesses and bystanders, and rescue crews who may endanger themselves in any rescue or recovery efforts, and the taxpayer money that goes to support such efforts. My personal feeling is there is no place for excessive intoxication in whitewater. As for class II Booze cruise, I just find a raft full of drunken fools annoying. That said, class II booze cruises probably have the highest amount of ridiculously easily avoidable accidents that are alcohol related.
This argument has a logical flaw - people can need to be rescued - and endanger all the parties listed above - while making choices without any alcohol in their blood streams. Your argument could be extended to say that people should be banned from doing any 'excessively' risky activity because it might endanger rescuers or have a negative impact on their families and friends. Part of Freedom is being allowed to take risks.

Breathalyzers are small, cheap and easy to use in the field. Most Law enforcement agents carry them in their cars and often on their persons.

You don't need to be noticeably drunk for the Enforcement agent to breathalyze you. If they come into contact with you for ANY reason then notice alcohol, the scent of alcohol, red and watery eyes or any other sign that they believe might indicate intoxication they can ask you to perform a breathalyzer. You don't have to, but they can ask, and if they believe that they have probable cause and you refuse they can arrest you on suspicion and take you to a police station to be booked on suspicion of DUI or BUI. They will than ask you to submit to a breathalyzer at the station or a blood test. If you were driving and refuse either test they then will revoke you drivers license for 12 months. If you are boating there is no specific penalty but he law says that your refusal can be used against you at trial and that you cannot claim the privilege against self incrimination. Last summers law added express consent to boating in Colorado - basically if you are operating a boat in Colorado you have - according to state law - consented to performing a blood or breath test at any time it is requested by a law enforcement officer who believes they have "reasonable grounds". 33-13-108.1. Operating a vessel while under the influence.

Quote:
Just one more comment. Freedom does not mean you have the right to risk your own life or the lives of others in careless fashions or even entrench on the enjoyment of life of others. Wreckless endangerment is another law that could already easily be applied to boating while drinking, even if it is just your own life at stake Common sense says it's a bad idea. You want freedom start bitching about why it is illegal to sit in a local park and drink a beer.
I am deeply saddened that it is illegal to drink a beer in a public park. But I disagree with you that part of freedom is not being able to risk your own life. Risking others life's? No. Risking your own? Yes. The list of things that would be illegal if you weren't allowed to risk your own life is practically endless. Risk is a fundamental part of life.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #59

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
wow
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #60

kittredge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm all for folks having a good time, but the problem is people don't take responsibility for their actions and don't seem to care how it affects others most of the time. And it DOES affect others, sorry to tell you. They feel it's their God given right to get as drunk as they want and then don't like the consequences when something goes wrong.

I'm not opposed to a drink on the river, but I've had enough experiences with drunks on river, and in my regular job, to make me have a strong feelings about it. When I lived in CA, I used to guide (and still do) with an organization that takes individuals with disabilities rafting. On one trip, 2 paddleboat filled with completely plastered individuals in ski-doo lifejackets (on a class 3 river) cut me off not once, but twice, in the middle of some class 3 rapids. They even laughed at me because they though my yelling at them was funny. Some of my passengers had disabilities, and we had talked to these guys earlier, and they could of cared less. They could drink as much as they wanted. Wasn't any of my business. So while it's their "right" to get as shitfaced as they want, it's not their right to threaten my safety or that of my passengers. And I hate to tell you, one of them fell out of the boat in a class 3 and it caused his death. Some of the folks in my group ended up doing CPR on the guy. So much for it not affecting others......

And I have plently of experience on the other side when stuff goes wrong. I'm a trauma nurse, swiftwater tech and used to be part of a SAR team (working on getting back into it). If it weren't for alcoholics and drunks, I think I'd be out of a job. Can't tell you the number of times I have someone hurt themselves, or someone else, secondary to alcohol and then look at me to make it all better. I can't bring your friend back, I can't make you walk again, and I certainly can't persuade the cop to let you keep your license.

I'm not talking about the folks who have a beer or 2 on river, it's the ones that have to drink the entire day. I know folks who have told me that they can't even remember being on the river because they were so drunk. What's the point of being there? You can do that in your living room or down at the local bar. When you're out there, and if you're impaired and something goes wrong, you affect not only you, but your group (and if they're drunk with you when you have a wrap, God help you), the group behind you, the SAR team or rangers that have to come help you, the friends and family of the one involved, etc. As you can see, it doesn't affect just you. You have to look at the bigger picture. And it's the wilderness folks. Shit happens and you're a long way from help a lot of the time.

Unfortunately, laws have had to be written to try and curb this. Most of the boaters that I know, and raft with, are responsible drinkers. We actually don't have a problem with it because we are responsible for our drinking. It's not really an issue. It's the ones that aren't responsible that cause the problems, so laws get written. You can't really weed them out, so have to generalize it.

And if it can help save one persons life, or at least hold those that have no regards for it accountable, so be it. I think I'm worth it.

Sorry for the rant. Drunks and alcoholics are just the bane of my existence.....

Tags
beer