Old 07-21-2009   #31

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Devils advocate: The only issue is not just 'running other people over', hurting other people. It is just plain an issue of public safety. If someone ends up only hurting themselves physically due to a alcohol related boating accident, the ripple effects of that accident go to rafting passengers, family and friends, witnesses and bystanders, and rescue crews who may endanger themselves in any rescue or recovery efforts, and the taxpayer money that goes to support such efforts. My personal feeling is there is no place for excessive intoxication in whitewater. As for class II Booze cruise, I just find a raft full of drunken fools annoying. That said, class II booze cruises probably have the highest amount of ridiculously easily avoidable accidents that are alcohol related.

Enforcement: This can't be an easy law to enforce. First there is a relatively small window of time that a breathalyzer test needs to be administered within for it to be valid in court. Transport to get this done in time will be limited to relatively a few stretches of river, mostly play parks I would think. I don't see rangers carrying around breathalyzers with them.

My last thoughts is that anyone drunk enough on the river to get a ranger or a cop to notice them and pull them over probably deserves to be pulled over. The biggest sting from this law is if after an accident a boater is found to be intoxicated, the responsibility and liability that boater incurs will be exponentially increased, however this I am sure is already the case.

Okay, this is certainly a minority view on this forum, but there it is. Rip it apart all you like. I don't drink, don't care if others do, find drunks annoying, and have a deep respect for river safety. Saw a guy on Browns last week drunk as Sh&*t wearing soaked jeans. Hard to tell if he was slurring his speech more from intoxication or hypothermia. Either way this guy was sick, it was self inflicted, and he was just a sorry sight to see. He decided to go boating in full cotton and it was just an opportunity to get Sh&*tfaced. I got no sympathy or respect for this. Should he be arrested? I don't know about that. Does he just need to be slapped silly, maybe.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #32

denver, Colorado
Now...since I happen to know a ranger, I'll impart a bit of knowledge because your ignorance is making my brain sad.

A full time commissioned Ranger is a police officer. They currently carry breathalyzers and have the jurisdiction to arrest you for a dui or bui. They also have jurisdiction over the entire state not just a particular county. So..no money needs to be spent to enforce this new law. The rangers already have the means and jurisdiction to do so.

However, to be fair...seasonal rangers do not have the authority. They may arrest/detain you for said offense until a full time ranger arrives to administer the breathylizer and arrest you. I also suspect that the 'part timer' who's been stationed at the put-in to remind you to pay your parking fees probably doesn't care what you're doing...but I'll let someone else test that theory.

I won't press this much more...I don't wish to be unjustly categorized as some proponent of irresponsible alcoholism...there's a big difference between .08bac and 'drunken fools...it just saddens me when in this wonderful country of ours which prides itself on 'Freedom'...one more of those freedoms are taken away.

mlmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #33

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
"Freedom"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmercer View Post
Now...since I happen to know a ranger, I'll impart a bit of knowledge because your ignorance is making my brain sad.

A full time commissioned Ranger is a police officer. They currently carry breathalyzers and have the jurisdiction to arrest you for a dui or bui. They also have jurisdiction over the entire state not just a particular county. So..no money needs to be spent to enforce this new law. The rangers already have the means and jurisdiction to do so.

However, to be fair...seasonal rangers do not have the authority. They may arrest/detain you for said offense until a full time ranger arrives to administer the breathylizer and arrest you. I also suspect that the 'part timer' who's been stationed at the put-in to remind you to pay your parking fees probably doesn't care what you're doing...but I'll let someone else test that theory.

I won't press this much more...I don't wish to be unjustly categorized as some proponent of irresponsible alcoholism...there's a big difference between .08bac and 'drunken fools...it just saddens me when in this wonderful country of ours which prides itself on 'Freedom'...one more of those freedoms are taken away.
Just one more comment. Freedom does not mean you have the right to risk your own life or the lives of others in careless fashions or even entrench on the enjoyment of life of others. Wreckless endangerment is another law that could already easily be applied to boating while drinking, even if it is just your own life at stake Common sense says it's a bad idea. You want freedom start bitching about why it is illegal to sit in a local park and drink a beer.
esingleton56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #34

Evergreen, Colorado
Like everything else in life: It's the 10% that screw it up for the 90% of us, and yet 100% of us get to live with the new rules that were really written for the 10%
kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #35

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
Like everything else in life: It's the 10% that screw it up for the 90% of us, and yet 100% of us get to live with the new rules that were really written for the 10%
I totally agree, I mean you can keep outlawing things but it doesn't stop people from breaking the law again, and again, and again.

If we really want everyone to be "safe" we better outlaw cars, cigarettes, alcohol, and sex - basically become Amish.

More laws just makes for more criminals, not less crime.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #36

Evergreen, Colorado
I think as a society we have come to a point where many of us are recognizing that we have too many little laws that are meant to control human behavior, yet those laws are in conflict with how humans actually behave.
kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #37
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
I totally agree, I mean you can keep outlawing things but it doesn't stop people from breaking the law again, and again, and again.

If we really want everyone to be "safe" we better outlaw cars, cigarettes, alcohol, and sex - basically become Amish.

More laws just makes for more criminals, not less crime.

Woah there Nelly. Why you gotta pick on the Amish? Maybe they don't drink and drug too much, but I am pretty sure that like sex. Otherwise how would there be any Amish around today?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #38

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Good point Carvedog, you're right but they are FAR less promiscuous than the rest of the country, I haven't heard of any AIDs epidemics in Intercourse, PA.

The sex was a bad example but the rest still stands, life is dangerous, outlawing things doesn't make it safer.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #39

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks for all the points of view! Sounds like so many aspects of boating - use common sense and don't be stupid and the rangers won't bother you. But it's good to know what the law says, like it or not.

Since it was brought up, I gotta ask.... Is sex on a raft illegal? LOL
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #40

denver, Colorado
it's not illegal yet...just use common sense.

mlmercer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer