Old 07-21-2009   #11

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Where is Max pleasure? Ian the log is below all the steeps. the river is on a slow left curve as the boof approaches and has a short cliff on the right after the boof as the river bends back to the right. pretty close above supermax.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #12
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Maybe we could just start naming rapids by who's swam out of them? I'd guess we could cover them all that way.

Bailey is pretty well named, although I've noticed some people use different names (confusing). We really should have a consortium to name SSV rapids though. It gets really old trying to describe those: you know, the manky steep one that kind of turns and you have to move around some rocks.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #13

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
also, there is a rapid below trashcan that seems to be a wood magnet. the one i'm thinking of has a good lead in hole in the middle of the current at higher flows and then wood has collected in the middle and right slots in the past. i think a boat was pinned there a year or two back. i always run this one in the far left channel to avoid any possible wood encounters. does anyone know which one i'm refering to and have a name suggestion?
dan
Here's how I recognize it:
When I see a long stone wall (~50' long and 6-10' high) directly on the left and the river bends hard to the left after that, I know it's coming just around the corner. I know there's a lot of stonework along this river, but this is one of the bigger sections of it and it's below Trashcan, whereas most of the old railroad stonework is above SuperMax or adjacent with Trashcan.

If someone wants to do the run 1st time w/ no guide at high water, I'd wager that they can probably handle it. The hump creating the hole is visible from above and your instincts tell you to boof. Boofing left is just the safest bet, but center works, too, and it doesn't really line you up for going right anyway.
Old 07-21-2009   #14

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Max pleasure= super max, you know the one you run far left everytime?
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #15

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Damn it Gary, I was already picking out nice names for the class II shoals on bailey... Oh well, not everything needs a name, granted, but there are certainly rapids that could benefit from names.

Naming drops after folks who have swam them makes sense when its an exceptionally rediculous swim. Like the time Shawn lectured everyone about the hole right above tunnel on gore, and then promptly paddled right into it and was seen pulling his skirt before his head was underwater. That hole will always be Shawn's hole to me now, and all that call it that at will get a takeout beer on me if I'm there.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #16

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
don't forget about tampax! thats the one where people portage the meat of supermax and run the lower half on the left.
Old 07-21-2009   #17

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
"don't forget about tampax! thats the one where people portage the meat of supermax and run the lower half on the left."

No one should be allowed to pull that shit. If you can't run the drop, don't put in until you're around it. I would let anyone walk the top and paddle the bottom over 600 though.

Force you would know about that sneak you dumpster!
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #18

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Deep south. i know that hole very well. i call it the pleasure poutch.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey