Old 05-17-2011   #11

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I saw some of the work they are doing at the new put in tonight. It looks good. They are building a parking lot downstream of the liquor store and are moving the current fence 50ft downstream to do so. They have a two bathroom building already constructed. They put a small bridge across a micro creek side tributary and did some flagstone work for some paths.

Thinking it will all work out pretty well in the end. If you see the guys up there working, tell them thanks.

Only downside is that there is a small ledge drop between the new put in and the culverts that has a ton of rocks in the landing. Definitely need to find the clean line there.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #12

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
There used to be a fence upstream of the culverts, but i haven't putin up there in years. Is it no more?
Joe

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #13
Everyone needs a vacation

Fairfield, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Wow! Unbelievable. Between this post and the Gore post, I'm pretty fired up!!! Ian thanks for keeping us in the loop and everything else you do for this great run! I have been using McGraw Park since I learned about it at BaileyFest without incident. I love it! I saw no reason to use the private land access point and I guess I can't anymore, thanks Bad Apples.

When we were there Saturday of Mother's Day weekend we had a nice chat with a couple that sit on the McGraw Park board. They told us the reason the bathrooms were closed was vandalism last fall. I better not find out it was boaters or we will have a special Bailey party for you.

I'm feeling really helpless right now. How do we educate folks, especially the IDIOTS? Ideas? I'm just really frustrated... idiot!

Thanks again Ian!!!
BDPADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #14
Everyone needs a vacation

Fairfield, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Ian- The cleanest line I've found is about 10' right of center, but I still hit rocks about 50% of the time. Cheers.
BDPADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #15
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Being a fisherman myself...I ran Supermax 4 times yesterday and did two full laps...While staying as far away from the fisherman as possible. I did however bum a smoke from a fisherman that was fishing at the takeout bridge. We all trespassed at 1st falls. Caspermike, I suggest you get my name correct it has no s. I'm very excited to see ya soon; Hopefully I have about eight beers in me the first time we meet.
Old 05-18-2011   #16
Front Range Swim Team

FRST, Colorado
Since Baileyfest, we have run Bailey a bunch and haven't even used the old put in. The new one is so much better anyway with plenty of parking, and the paddle down to the culverts takes a negligible amount of time. It was really nice having those bathrooms at Baileyfest, the people responsible for the vandalism are douches. Hopefully they sort that situation out so we can all take our pre-creeking shit that so many of us look forward to.

Also... not intended to hijack or anything... but since Brian and Mike clearly DESIRE to kick each others asses, caveman style, perhaps we can get Pine Valley Ranch to let us construct a ring this year at BFest and we can have them duke it out however the mob sees fit. Instead of burgers and brats this year, perhaps we can just smoke turkey legs and in true medieval fashion we can heckle and throw them at the gladiators. I know the Ranger, perhaps I can pull some strings. Just sayin... I think this could be a good time, no?
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #17

Who is a streamkeeper that can update the AW page? And who can update Eddyflower? We got to spread word to the out of towners. Maybe a post on boatertalk titled, ''Don't come to Colorado and shit at the put-in!'' would help.
Old 05-18-2011   #18

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
No fence upstream of the culverts as of now... Looks like there is barbed wire well above the culverts, that could have been a lower fence in the past.

Ken, updated eddyflower and AW pages is a good idea. I'll follow up.

After thinking about this some more... I think that the landowners have had the vision to move the takeout to the park for several years. I don't blame them, its a good idea. I think its pretty cool of them to facilitate the move and not leave us hanging. In hindsight, I think that they were moving to get this done before the secret crapper and the badass boofer. Permits, work, funding etc takes a long time to get worked out.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #19

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Who couldn't take 10 minutes to turn off at the gas station for a bathroom? I'm sure we've all had to shit in a bad situation but why risk access to your favorite sport over laziness.

Thx to Ian for the continued damage control. Let's hope we don't ruin his reputation. We don't have many boaters out there dedicated to river access as we should.
Old 05-18-2011   #20

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Woah Mack that's an awesome idea... I love smoked turkey legs and a good ol' fashion brawl!

ChasetheWater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey