Old 05-21-2008   #1

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Any Yampa Dinosaur Obstructions or Strainers?

I am putting in the Yampa from Deerlodge to Split Mountain next week and with the recent flooding I was wondering if anyone has ran it recently and is there any new obstructions or strainers we should know of? We have 18 people and 9 boats going with two of the boats being rookies in big water. Any input would be great.

utah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #2

Palisade, Colorado
haven't been down in years, but going next week also...my hunch is that at this point, all strainers will be floating downstream. but yea, better watch out for them next week, just after peak.

Those entire cottonwoods that sit submerged in the middle of the river with one little branch sticking out are particularly freeky...

I remember seeing an entire floating island (15'-30' square) of tangled driftwood moving downstream on the yampa about ten year ago at Deerlodge.

HIGHWATER EXCITMENT!!!

peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #3

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
When are you going?

We are putting in on the 29th, when are you going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak View Post
haven't been down in years, but going next week also...my hunch is that at this point, all strainers will be floating downstream. but yea, better watch out for them next week, just after peak.

Those entire cottonwoods that sit submerged in the middle of the river with one little branch sticking out are particularly freeky...

I remember seeing an entire floating island (15'-30' square) of tangled driftwood moving downstream on the yampa about ten year ago at Deerlodge.

HIGHWATER EXCITMENT!!!
utah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #4

Fort Fun, Colorado
I just got off the Yampa on Sunday
There were no obstructions that we noticed.
Now we did pass a few dead cows and a couple of elk floating in the eddies that are probably going to floating down stream with the water picking up again.
Have fun and enjoy!
danadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #5

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I took off on the 12th,it was at flood stage when we went thru too. We flew! Ton's of wood was floating down with us but no strainers. Our beach at Box Elder(i believe it was) disappeared overnight. Warm Springs was pretty damn big,we had one veteran flip. Be ready to catch people and/or gear when those rookies go through.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #6

fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
it's gonna be awsome! one way or another

skipig1 is offline   Reply With Quote