Old 07-19-2011   #21

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Um, maybe this would help?

LEWISTON, Idaho -- A section of a northern Idaho river remains clogged with huge rolls of unprocessed toilet paper after a semi-trailer accident last week.

State police say a Freightliner truck hauling the paper along U.S. 12 on Friday slid into the Lochsa River. Lt. Allen Oswald says the fragile nature of the soaked toilet paper has made it difficult to remove from the river.

The Lewiston Tribune reports a towing company in nearby Kooskia is in charge of the cleanup efforts, which continued this week.

The 24-year-old driver of the semi-trailer was treated and released at a nearby hospital after the accident last week. Police say Mahmoud Salameh of Fort Worth, Texas, was ticketed for inattentive driving and failing to purchase a permit to haul the 53-foot trailer along the highway.

The Associated Press

mukker4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #22
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The Durango Herald 07/20/2011 | Animas River health alert remains

mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #23

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon_w View Post
The cascade flowing down in front of the girl tuber looks runnable at 3 gpm! Has analbody claimed a first D yet?
Freudian Slip?
Old 07-20-2011   #24

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
Freudian Slip?
Ha I think Gannon is hoping for a first descent...
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #25

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
No slip...Do you guys think I can handle it in a playboat or should I bring a creeker?

If she is sitting 2 ft high, the drop looks about 7-8ft high over a guestimated distance of 10 horizontal feet...well that's around 3960 feet per mile. I better bring a creeker!

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #26

Way too much rounding going on here Gannon. I'm not calling it a first d until you run the gradient out to the 30th decimal point. When it comes to a gradient of that magnitude nanometers per mile matter.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #27
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpludwig View Post
funny thing is that the city is using Santa Rita pumping plant to fill the drinking water reservoir, below the sewage run off. Lets say the leak was 1 cfs with a river flow of 1300 cfs. Concentrations are not in favor of a clean water source.
This was my point from the beginning of ALP. I spent lots of days down there and even the clean water outflow stank. I used to think that it was funny as hell that the swimmers in smelter would always wash up next to that pipe.
Old 07-21-2011   #28
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The Durango Herald 07/21/2011 | Health alert gets lifted for Animas
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #29

SW Colo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
After we complained to the state department of health the city has upped their estimate of 3 gallons per minute to 300,000 total gallons released. The city manager is quoted in the Durango Herald as saying the new figure is not an increase off the original estimate. (300K is 69 days @3 gal/min) If we use the pump truck math a more real estimate would be about 1,500,000 gallons if the leak started Friday and flowed consistently the duration. Both my children swam smelters on the Sunday and were sickened. The city manager told me that "we don't know what made them sick", and he also asked me if I "was a doctor". Personally I think that the City of Durango owes the public an apology for acting in bad faith. An apology and a real third party accounting of the spill total, followed by investment in some sort of remedial action to offset the pollution and environmental damage which they caused but can't clean up.

M
martystecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #30

Encampment, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
its like the female anatomy the play parks next to the waste treatment plant

russelthelovemuscle is offline   Reply With Quote