Old 07-19-2011   #11

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Maybe they should fix the problem at the source rather than trying to deal with the product? Do it right the first time.

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretheriverflows View Post
On the incident report, this is the information given on the volume of sewage flowing into the river: DUE TO AN INVERTED SIPHON FAILING AT THE ABOVE LISTED LOCATION, WASTEWATER HAS BEEN
RELEASED. INITIAL ESTIMATED OF THE RELEASE WERE 10 GALLONS PER MINUTE. THAT HAS DECLINED TO
3 GALLONS PER MINUTE. VOLUME OF THE RELEASE HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED.

In the Herald article, this is the information:
The sewage trucks, each with a 4,000-gallon tank, were in overdrive Monday to keep further waste from seeping into the water.
I've made 15 to 18 trips to empty the tank since I got here at 4:30 a.m., said Ball Septic owner Steve Basye at around 10 a.m Monday morning.
Jason Strain from city Public Works said, I've made about 17 runs to empty my truck since I got here about the same time.

I did the math - assuming 17 trips for both 4,000 gallon tanks (8,000 gallons x17 =136,000 gallons) in 5.5 hours (330 minutes), that's 136,000/330 =

412.121212 gallons a minute. Durango needs some new city engineers!
Thank god you ran that out to the millionth I may have been confused if you only went to the hundred thousandth.

Have you ever seen 412 gpm? Have you seen the photos of the seepage? Does that look like 412 gpm? Maybe Durango would like to hire you as their new city engineer.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #13

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
gpm => cfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Thank god you ran that out to the millionth I may have been confused if you only went to the hundred thousandth.

Have you ever seen 412 gpm? Have you seen the photos of the seepage? Does that look like 412 gpm? Maybe Durango would like to hire you as their new city engineer.
412 gpm = 0.91793981487856063529249263671013 cfs. Just in case anyone cares. I'm quite sure my significant digits are a bit much... accept for you, Nathan!
Old 07-19-2011   #14

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny water View Post
Maybe they should fix the problem at the source rather than trying to deal with the product? Do it right the first time.
What, have all of us Durangotangs stop pooping? Dunno if that's practical.

I floated by on Sunday and we noticed the stinky. I have a Fat Cat and there is no not getting wet (and I got a faceful in Smelter) so I hope my shower in gen-u-wine treated Florida River water got me cleaned up okay.

Herald website says the sewer's been repaired but the health advisory remains.
ilanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #15
don't bogart that

Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
funny thing is that the city is using Santa Rita pumping plant to fill the drinking water reservoir, below the sewage run off. Lets say the leak was 1 cfs with a river flow of 1300 cfs. Concentrations are not in favor of a clean water source.
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #16

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The cascade flowing down in front of the girl tuber looks runnable at 3 gpm! Has analbody claimed a first D yet?
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #17
Newb Sauce

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
What does the amount of sewage that trucks are taking out of storage have to do with how much it is leaking? Why can't it leak 3 gallons per minute while Jimbo and Billy Bob fill their trucks at 412 gallons per minute from the same storage location?
Milquetoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #18

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpludwig View Post
funny thing is that the city is using Santa Rita pumping plant to fill the drinking water reservoir, below the sewage run off. Lets say the leak was 1 cfs with a river flow of 1300 cfs. Concentrations are not in favor of a clean water source.
Yeah, assuming the flow from the Florida isn't enough to fulfill city needs. I dunno if they are currently pumping water from the Animas. Also, Terminal Reservoir is a raw water storage reservoir and water is treated before it actually hits the system.

Still, ick.
ilanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #19

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Nathan, I'd gladly come down there and give your guys a little help. Being from Chicago, I can certainly work a good municipal job! It might cost a bit more, but...lol. I don't prefer to do math, but when I do, I like precise math. :P
wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #20
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The Durango Herald 07/19/2011 | Sewage leak repaired but health alert remains

Appears the source at the spew tank has been remediated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpludwig View Post
I think it has been going on for weeks, It has smelled poorly by the kids museum for weeks now. last Wednesday it was off the hook. But rafts are common river left at this flow so it would be hard to see. Doesn't Durango get in trouble for this every four years or so?
I totally agree with you...it has smelled bad for at least ten days now down by the discovery plaza...I've smelled it from the river and the bike trail. Very interesting it's an out of town kayaker who's over that side of the river...I think most everyone runs that little chute on river left....weird the fire Dept didn't sniff it out...

mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote