Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 07-07-2014   #11
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Out-of-towner questions!

I'm from NM and have only run this section once last year, so I have a couple questions that may be obvious to most, but aren't to me.

Is this dam in question, the dam that you run into if you put in at Salida and go the next 10-15 miles? That's what I'm picturing.

Is that dam nicknamed the "SilverBullet"?

Was the dam recently modified - since last summer?

Is that dam in the section that was closed and just recently re-opened?

Please let me know - if they changed a dangerous feature everyone needs to know, if I'm mistaken please correct me so I don't confuse issues.

Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014   #12
BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
The dam where the accident is a diversion structure upstream of salida. The silver bullet is a boat chute constructed around another diversion dam that exists about a mile downstream of bv. That feature was reconstructed this last winter and from the sounds of it will likely be changed once again this winter. Due to the hydrualic that was at the bottom of the silver bullet, the bv town run was closed during high water but has been opened back up recently. It is still a recommended portage.

tskoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #13
This is the dam above Salida before peak water this June. The boat chute is river left or the close side of the image...the dam on the far side.

This is not "Silver Bullet" which is the dam that was modified in the off season and then closed for bit.

There are large clear signs at both dams and really, the AHRA does a pretty good job making sure that those of us safe and vigilant boaters are aware of potential hazards.

This is unfortunate. Stay safe and stay informed everyone...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1404871683.903262.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	1,003.3 KB
ID:	8665

Bulala is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas, arkansas river