Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 05-16-2016   #11
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'll be there to speak against it. And writing them some letters. Giving up access along that stretch of the Blue and through the Blue Valley Ranch is definitely not in the public interest.

powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #12
Arvada (Denver), Colorado
7 and 8 days, respectively, until next Monday, May 23 Silverthorne and Tuesday, May 24 Kremmling meetings. Are you going?

23 days until the June 8, 2016 Comment deadline. Will you write and submit your Comment to BLM Kremmling by then?

To express your Comments, remember they don't mean a thing unless you submit them to BLM in written form, by email, fax, snail mail, etc, and/or at the Silverthorne/Kremmling meetings so your Comments can be entered into the exchange process. Refer to the BLM contact info in this thread's original post.

Use these links for written Comment ideas, language and to better understand the BLM land exchange process:

BLM Land Exchange Handbook (Public) 1995 Latest Version?

Previous Proposed Blue Valley Land Exchange Process from around 2005

Example: Land Exchange Feasibility Analysis (Sutey Ranch near Carbondale)

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #13
Arvada (Denver), Colorado
The Summit County Board of Commissioners is meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, May 17 at the Summit County Courthouse in Breckenridge to discuss the Proposed Blue Valley Land Exchange. The exchange discussion will be from 11:15-11:45 am.

Will you go?
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #14
New take out

Does anyone know where the new take out would be in relation to the current one (where you drag your boat up the bank and over that wood walkway) and would it have a ramp for backing down trailers.

"The proposed exchange does not involve any public lands currently used by floaters to access the Blue River. Boaters will still be able to float through the Blue Valley Ranch as before. As part of the exchange, Blue Valley Ranch has proposed several design features including construction of a new take-out for floaters near the confluence of the Colorado and Blue Rivers, and a permanent rest stop for floaters with a seasonal toilet on ranch property at Spring Creek Bridge. "

PS, how about a wood ramp at the put in below the dam to slide boats down
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #15
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I plan on being at the forum in Silverthorne Monday.

I too am curious about where/what the take out improvements are. And second the thought on improving the put in. I would am curious if spring creek is being added as a viable put in location as well.

Hope to see a lot of people at the forum. Hope that as the public we can have numbers to keep our public land.
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #16
denver, Colorado

Blue River land exchange meeting tonight in Silverthorne- hope to see people there. Hopefully we can generate enough public interest to save the few public parcels on the Blue River between trough road and spring creek.

Hope to see y'all there!
Old 05-24-2016   #17
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
How did it go, Brett? Thanks for showing up and representing.
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #18
I was there and the general public was not well represented. Of the maybe 25 people in the room it was BLM, a few Colorado parks people and a women with the Blue Valley ranch, as well as the group hired to put the whole swap together. The whole time I was there, I did not speak with anyone pointing out the negative aspects of the swap. I would like to hear more about the down side of the proposal from someone who has taken the time to review the swap.
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #19
denver, Colorado
Hi all-

To relate important info that I got from the meeting.

The BLM does seem interested in helping the public, but we need comments, so please send these in. Comments must be received by June 8- see OleRivers first post in this thread. After this deadline they will make a draft plan, which will have another public comment period near the end of the year. These are really the only two times we the public can voice our opinion and help to get the swap to work in our favor.

My stance is that the swap is negative for rafters as it decreases public land during float (river land is lost between Spring Creek and Trough Rd). This is a big deal because this float is very long and these small parcels provide a stopping/resting point- otherwise a rafter is looking at 6-8 hours of never being able to touch shore (depending on flow).

There is nothing proposed to to improve the put in or have spring creek become a viable put in either.

There is a plan to improve the take out, which will be moved to the old take out location that has eroded into the river long ago (at the fallen down bridge)

Please email the BLM about what you would like to see happen. Losing they small public parcels is another step towards the public losing access to river and recreation in our state.
Old 05-24-2016   #20
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
OK, tell me where I am wrong:

The existing "rest areas" on the spring creek/confluence stretch are VERY NEAR spring creek or the confluence. If there is a suitable rest area at Spring Creek and at the confluence, it seems like the "nonstop" section only increases by 20% but in exchange you'd have improved stopping points at Spring Creek and the confluence.

Also, why would BVR be responsible for improving the put-in which is on USFS land according to the map? USFS in not party to this exchange...

SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote