Old 05-28-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
1 year old on upper C? Stupid or just mildly crazy?

We were thinking of taking our one year from Pump house to State bridge this weekend. We have both been down that part of the river in mid to late summer but neither have been down it when its in run off. What I'm looking for is some beta on what the canyon does when the water gets higher. Worse or does it smooth out at higher flows?
Thanks

airnordica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
No. big waves crashing all over, not a good idea.

I have seen babys on this section under 1000 cfs.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #3

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
There was a BUNCH of carnage on the Upper Colorado today from inexperienced people on the water at this level.Several folks were taken by ambulance from the river,mainly due to swims and the cold water.Needles eye can be run pretty easily on the right of the now pourover but you don't want mess this line up!There are really large wave trains from needles eye down for a ways.The hardest part will probably be Yarmony,which has a LARGE hole in the center of the river.It is almost guaranteed to flip you and send you on a long swim.The line is left of the hole,but make sure you get there!Even the slightest winds can throw you off your line.As for the 1 yr. old,I can't say much but it would most likely have tragic outcomes for any mistakes so I guess it's your call.The Upper C is a whole different animal at these levels and should be taken seriously.Enjoy and stay safe!
TELEYAKCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #4

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I spent two days on Pumphouse last week, and it is even higher now. I DO NOT think you should take a young child on that section now, unless you get out at Radium. And I don't even recommend that unless you REALLY know the route through the needle. There are still very big waves there too and you HAVE to take the right side of the hole caused by the buried big rock at the Eye. Even beyond that it can be nasty.

Yarmony is VERY big. We picked up three fisherman below there last week who had dumped their raft in the big Yarmony hole and swam over 300 yds. By the time we got to them, two could hardly talk or walk, and were in an advanced stage of hypothermia. The third one had a wet suit and was OK. It took over an hour, a big fire, our dry clothes, and a space blanket to get them coherant and moving again. Not worth the risk for a child - even grade school age.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #5

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
My 4 year old has about 300 miles on the Upper C, in fact the family jokes that she was raised on the Upper C because we are out there almost every weekend. The entire family is very competant and knows that section of river like the back of our hands.........with this being said, I don't think its a good idea at this "flow"!!!
Anyother time with a good life vest, competant captain on the oars sure...I don't think its a bad idea, but thats because I had my 1 year old out there in a 16 footer raft.
The issue is not so much learning the lines and staying on them, at this big flow, the issue is the consequences of coming off the line will be big...especially in Yarmony!
I ran it with my family at 4800 the other week and once I saw the Yarmony hole I looked at my wife and said we can't come back with our daughter for awhile....... Again, its hard to mess up that line, but if for some crazy reason you did........it could be very bad, especially for a 1 year old which already deal with thermo regulatory temperatures issues and the "stickyness" of the whole (the ability to take and object, hold it under and recurculate it over and over)
Why risk that with your family.
Wait a few weeks for the water to drop.........then safely go and enjoy some fun.
1200 CFS and the whole is still there but very small and for a large raft is almost a non-issue.
Hope this helps and happy safe boating.
Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #6

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You might wanna go to Ruby/Horsethief Canyon....
Its an overnight in Fruita Colorado and tons of fun for the kids.
Each year I do a Daddy Daughter trip just her and I for 4 days 3 nights...
Your entire family will enjoy that!!
We are heading there Monday. If you wanna beta on that PM.
Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #7

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Nope..... Save it for later.

Bad decision that you can't take back. I wouldn't take a 3 month old puppy down at this level.

Get a babysitter & get out there!
Even better, get the babysitter to run your shuttle & have an awesome day on the water & then have an awesome campout with the wee one.
Old 05-28-2011   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks

Nuf said, Thanks for the beta. I think we will get a sitter. I want to check it out at this level.
airnordica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #9

Fraser, Colorado
You should DEFINITELY get down this week or next just to see a rare river.It could easily hit 7,000 or so by Wednesday.They're sayin' maybe 8-10,000 by next week!
TELEYAKCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Certainly not. At this level, no one who is incapable of self- rescue should not be on the river. Just yesterday on the Upper C., we had 3 abmulance responses, 1 search and rescue activation, and 2 dogs that drowned. And dogs swim better than 1 year olds...

AKATief is offline   Reply With Quote