Old 05-30-2011   #11

niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
You would be better off simply running the filter plant section of the Poudre if you feel you have to get out on the river with a 1 year old. My rule always was if I couldn't run a section blindfolded I didn't take my 2 year old. This is the kind of year that many boaters will have problems with- flows we haven't seen since the mid 80's and 90's. The upper C can be a trouble for those that have been running it for the past 10 years but missed all the fun at 7-10K. Leave the 1 year old with family if you have to try the upper C at these levels. Have fun.
wayne

wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #12

Summit County, and Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by TELEYAKCO View Post
You should DEFINITELY get down this week or next just to see a rare river.It could easily hit 7,000 or so by Wednesday.They're sayin' maybe 8-10,000 by next week!
WOW! I have never seen the upper C at these levels. I hope it stays so I can see it in a couple of weeks.

Kids and the Upper C can be a super cool mix. But anything at high water goes from fun to serious consequences if something goes wrong. Not worth the risk in my book.

But I agree, get out and get some while its at a record high! just leave the kiddo this time.

Wow, still cant believe this runoff!

Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011   #13
El Chupanibre

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
We ran this section today. Yarmony is an easy run on the RIGHT side. Our oar assist boat nearly flipped in a hole on the left side of the rapid. The level at Kremmling was 8650.
OldandBitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011   #14

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKATief View Post
Certainly not. At this level, no one who is incapable of self- rescue should not be on the river. ...
BEST QUOTE EVER!!!!!!!

So...Get out there and run it!?!?! Oh ...uh wait a sec.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #15

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
If you can handle yourself (be it make the proper lines, boat through it, self-rescue/swim it) in the worst line down a section SHOULD something force you there then yes you can take the person.

I guess the easiest way to tell is to chuck the kid in the water sometime during the run into a hole or rapid and see how they handle themself.

Sound stupid? So does taking a 1-year old on the river.

Just my opinion though.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #16

Denver, Colorado
This is so dumb. In our litigeous society everyone is so worried about what can happen they don't enjoy life. Your baby just needs to weigh less than a duck, stupid. Ducks float so your baby will be fine. But actually, two ducks float too, so maybe if they weigh between one and two ducks they should be OK too. I will not be liable for anyone who tries to float a three duck baby.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #17
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
This is so dumb. In our litigeous society everyone is so worried about what can happen they don't enjoy life. Your baby just needs to weigh less than a duck, stupid. Ducks float so your baby will be fine. But actually, two ducks float too, so maybe if they weigh between one and two ducks they should be OK too. I will not be liable for anyone who tries to float a three duck baby.
what about geese. id say 3 ducks is a goose. and geese float.

so two ducks or a goose?
stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #18

Denver, Colorado
I would go 2/3rds of a goose. It's also very important to only use the back end of the goose for these specific gravity calculations.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #19
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
no no no its 2 ducks per goos. Duck duck goose!
like 7 chipmunks on a branch.....
Old 06-23-2011   #20

ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
so I took my daughter on the river at 1 year old, BUT... it was a flat water stretch of the Rio Grande that I know like the back of my hand, and was at low water. I held on to her while someone I trust above no other (& knows that river better that I,) rowed. I would never have dreamed of taking her on high water at that age, or on anything above a really simple class II that yeah, I know well enough to boat blind folded. Having said that, I did take her on class III at 2 1/2 years old, BUT this is also the class III stretch that I know better than any section of river any where... I have literally Thousands of river miles on this little stretch, (the Rio Grande Race Course near Pilar,) & it was very low water. I still don't let her go boating at high water & as much as she begs, it'll be much later in the summer before she gets to go boating again... high water rocks, but it is not for kids.