Old 06-09-2010   #1
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Where have you been in your Chaco's

It seems like everyone on the CKS staff has a pair of Chaco's. For this reason we decided to do a review on them. they've been around for a while, and for good reason.
Chaco Z1 and Z2 Review | Colorado Kayak Supply Blog

ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
im sold for life. i wear mine 12 months a year, in the snow, mud, grass, etc. from the tops of fourteeners to the bottom of lots of river canyons, they are great anywhere and everywhere. nothing beats charging through a mountain stream without looking back while your friend stop to fumble with their large, cumbersome trail boots while they change into $5 wal mart sandals for five minutes.

two words: chaco tan. love pullin the foot out of the sock after a good ski day in late february or early march and still having people compliment your sandal tan.

and chacos might be the only sandal ever made that goes well in a formal situation. outside wedding? tux and chacos make a dashing caombo! love em, love em, love em!

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #3
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post

two words: chaco tan. love pullin the foot out of the sock after a good ski day in late february or early march and still having people compliment your sandal tan.
LOL, my husband calls them my "Z Feet" and I have worn them at night in February in the snow while loading a moving van- warm and dry all night!
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #4
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ya I have 5 or 6 pairs, all different styles and they are the best shoes out there. I call them shoes because I dont just wear them as sandals, I hike, run, kayak, raft, bike, and do just about everything in them. I wore them on an 1800 mile bike tour day in and day out, and took a brand new hiking pair to south america for 10 weeks of hiking, no break in needed, not a single blister anywhere. My first pair I got probably 12 years ago and I still rock them hard on the river. They are the best shoes I own, which is why I have every style, I love chaco!
P the K
Paul the Kayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #5
The OC, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Where have I been in my Chacos?

Um, everywhere...
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
Um, everywhere...
+1... Way too many places to list. I think it's pretty cool that they've been down the Grand Canyon twice, once on my feet, once on my buddies feet. I bet someone out there has a dozen Grand trips in the same pair of Chacos.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #7
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I wish they still made the thong (?)
" The Dude abides....."
palidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #8
Summit County, and Idaho
I wore chacos down the isle in a white dress, and back again in divorce court.
I wear them to work; in sales meetings and luncheons.
I wear them on the river, I wear them biking, I wear them at snooty parties, and hike 14‘ers in them.
I wore them to a panic show, warp tour and a brooks & dunn show all in the same week ( yeah, I know).
I have slept in them, made love in them and worn them drunk at karaoke.

I wear them because they have so many different personalities, like me. They may just be a sandal to some people; but to many they are a way of life.

Oh, and yes.. nothing more sexier than a chaco tan....Z strap preferred, and even better if its February!
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #9
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by palidog View Post
I wish they still made the thong (?)
You talking about these? -Flip Pro
bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #10
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001

I had a pair of Chacos I bought in 2001, had them for 7 years, resoled with stealth rubber (climbing) halfway through their life. These things rocked, they went up several moderate climbs in Rocky Mountain Park, canyoneering decents in southern Utah, many peaks in CO, etc..... Finally the straps rotted off of them, not a fault of the sandal but of funky feet and 1000s of miles.

In 2008 I bought a new pair of Chacos, I got about 10 months out of them, but really only wore them about 6 of those months. Two straps broke, sent them in for warranty work. To Chaco's credit they were fixed and back in my possession in a week. I had these for about 3 more months and the straps broke again, and rubber was peeling off the sole. I ended up loosing one one the river. I bought another pair in spring 2009; straps broke in about 5 months.

I will never buy chacos again, they used to have awesome quality, but it seems like the quality control went way downhill. I appreciate the warranty, but that warranty means little when you are strapless early into a 15 day river trip or early into a 3 day backpacking trip. Field speedy-stitched sandals aren't that comfortable.....

I'd like to hear from the manufacture about what has happened to the QC at the factory. Is it from being moved to China? Either way I'd rather support a company that doesn't force me to send a pair of sandals to the landfill annually. I hate to say it, but I went back to Teva, they seem to be a little more durable.

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote

chaco, colorado kayak supply, teva