Old 03-06-2010   #61
Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Our Preseason sale ends on March 15! If you want a boat, this is the best price you will ever find on a new hypalon boat! Come get one! Hypalon Boats

b_liner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #62
Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Duckies and IK's coming soon! (sorry if I offended any IK'ers by calling them duckies!) Here is a video that features our first phase of testing on our new line of IK's, and also a little more of the 9.5' boat you have already seen so much of.

Also, our sale ends on Monday, so get your orders in if you are thinking about it!

Follow us on Facebook: Big Water Raft Company | Facebook

Old 03-30-2010   #63
Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Hey guys, I know this isn't a commercial post or anything, but I just wanted to get the word out on the possibility of a play park in Jackson as much as possible. I received this from a friend, and thought it was awesome, so take a look, and support if you choose!

Hey there all kayak enthusiasts-

I got an email from a friend of mine up in Jackson Hole regarding the possibility of a new whitewater park in the Jackson Hole area. I've copied and pasted the email here for all to read and we would appreciate it if everyone could take the time to make their voice heard in the matter. Apparently the park would be near the Wilson Bridge just right outside Jackson, and it sounds like it would be sweet but it isn't a for sure think yet. This would be an awesome addition to that area. Please take the time and read the email that the boys at Rendezvous sent to me. Follow the instructions and take a few minutes to write to the town council showing your support for the funding. We might make the difference. I appreciate it. By the way, if people could post this in other places where boaters can see it, that would increase our chances as well. I just got this email, but I think that the deadline for submissions is tomorrow. If i would have known sooner, i would have posted.

Also, all those that read this post should make a comment to the thread showing support. Maybe we can use this forum to help show support.

Dane's email:

Hey there everyone,

We need to get as many kayakers to write in to the Town Council and County Commissioners in support of the Wilson Bridge Rec Area for SPET Funding.
We also need to voice our support of having a play wave built as part of the project, right now the play wave is not a guaranteed part of the project, but it can be.

All you have to do is write an email to the address' below. In the email state your support for SPET funding of the Wilson Bridge Recreation Area and that you want a kayak wave to be part of the project. If you want any more info on the Wilson Bridge Rec Area go to Snake River Fund-Jackson Hole Wyoming

I know some of you already know all this, but I was hoping you could forward this email on to anyone who might be interested in commenting.

Town Council:
County Commission

Old 04-20-2010   #64
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Review of sorts

I haven't got the one I ordered yet but I did drive over and demo one, I also followed one down the Bear last weekend at the whitewater festival.

I paddled on with Arne on the Jordan wave when it was cranking. I was looking to buy for my program and the price seemd very good if the quality was good. We paddled his proto/demo 9.5 boat for about an hour. I checked it out before launch looking pretty closely. I believe it was the same boat at the Bear (class IV, 900cfs, 70fpm gradient) with an r3 team. I kayaked with them for 80% of the run and wathced with much interest.

I am not affiliated with any mfg company. I do buy outdoor gear for part of my job and do not consider myself a sucker (who does). I have accounts with most of the major raft mfg companies and buy 1-3 boats a year.

My impressions

The material: is a high quality hypalon that seems to be on par with NRS E-series and other big name boats. It is certainly nicer than NRS otter stuff. The chafe strips are pretty standard. I'm not sure about the claim of 'more rubber on the material' It seems standard but I didn't have a fabric sample to bring home and measure. the d-rings are not awe inspiring, just adequate. The valves I saw were not genuine but were working fine. The production boats are supposed to have genuine valves.

The build:I am slightly leery of the build in some ways. on very close inspection the chafe strip had a couple of places that were not glued down 100%, sort of like the painted the glue on and didn't go wide enough in a couple spots. this is easily fixable and not an immediate danger, but it was off-putting. The seams were all a 1' overlap style that seemed pretty uniform. the cuts were not exactly laser guided, they did visibly wobble a tiny bit. my NRS seems much straighter and more professionally finished. The glue on the seams looked good, there was some overglue that wasn't cleaned up as nice as I would like to see, but that is cosmetic. On the demo boat I used all of the seams wer further reinforced with an additonal strip of 2" hypalon glued on over every seam. This will probably contribute to a good long life on the seams, but at major intersection (aka under the bow where floor meets tube meets tube) it makes it rather thick and chunky looking. not a big deal to me. The floor looked like regular I-beam, felt bomber. design seemed like everything else out there.
The thwart was held in with a paddle system, like BAT. The paddles(if that is what you call them) though were kind of ghetto, seemed home made. The material looked like some sort of fiber reinforced resin. I'm not sure on the strength, and I'm not sure what kind of strength you really need from them. you would have to shear one in half to get a thwart out. that seems unlikely, but i would be more inspired with a molded platic paddle.
This was a proto boat and the finish should improve with a production run.

The result: the boat felt solid, paddled well and was really fun. It did get stuck in the hole we were surfing and stayed for 20+ minutes. I finally hit it with a throwbag full of rocks and towed it out. The tube size was good and it had adequate rocker. The proto had a single thwart which was OK, the newer boats have more thwarts and thwart placement options. It punched a hole well, surfed OK and was easy to steer as an r2.

On the bear I was surprised to see such a small boat r3 class IV. I did really well, never flipped and ran some good drops with ease. I saw it punch some nice juicy holes and bounce off some pretty manky sharp rocks. it seemed no worse for wear. the team had nothing but good to say about it.

The price: the pricing is good, maybe 6 months ago it was a lot better- but the entity was even more unknown. It is still below wholesale on other brands. the larger boats are a larger % off as a rule. the IK's and cat tubes arent anything to write home about- price wise. If they have another decent sale I would not hesitate to buy another. even not on sale you are saving a lot on a new boat.

Overall: I hope my boat has a bit sharper lines than the one I saw and more attention to the glue, but for the price I am willing to touch up the seams and deal with any cosmetics. The design and materials are excellent.
The owner I am dealing with (Arne) seems like a stand up guy who is just trying to make it happen at a decent price for boaters everywhere and make enough to keep boating himself.

You are taking a risk with a new company and a warranty that seems overly vague. While the owners may be committed to taking care of you they certainly don't have much capital to throw around.
My final decision was to buy one and run it for the summer then consider buying a few more for next year.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #65
Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Here is a video of the run that Lance mentioned above, Boo Boo rapid on the Black Canyon of the Bear in SE Idaho.