Old 11-10-2010   #1
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Green (jacket) is Good

Evan Stafford did a review on his favorite PFD, the Astral Green Jacket.
Cool pics and good info. Solid PFD.
The Astral Green Jacket Long Term Review by Evan Stafford | Colorado Kayak Supply Blog

BTW-The new LE4's are sick. Czech Yourself (before you wreck yourself). Jakub Nemec edition designed by Meg Hill. More info on it in the review.

ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Embroidered picture of a paddler drinking booty beer? I thought it was cool at first, but then I thought, wait, that can't be good luck!

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #3
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
As an inflatable kayaker that swims a lot I'll add that it's actually the most protective and comfortable PFD I've ever swum in. I have probably swam 30 times in mine, not to mention the twice-a-day swim hole on commercial trips, and have have been more comfortable than in any PFD I've had. It protects the torso, doesn't ride up, and seems to move with you more than the other PFD's I've worn.

When a friend wrapped a raft last Spring I had the gear on my body (4 locking pears, webbing, and the Astral spectra throw bag) to build the z-drag that popped 'er loose. I used a waist bag for years and LOVE the chest throw bag. It's always there. Retarded Texan floats out of the swim hole... BAM. Throw Bag. I swim and make it to shore and my friend swims behind me... BAM fucking throw bag. It's sweet. And it's flat so it's not really that big. You get used to it in a week.

Also kudos to Astral for making the LE jackets in the USA! I love my Rasta jacket and I'm really stoked each time I see a new design. The lady that puts pro purchases together told me that they're trying to get to a zero-waste production process. If that's true It's impressive. Hard to do that these days.

It looks like this will be the standard for a while. If anyone is looking to improve it's going to be about new materials that reduce bulk but maintain the float. I'll look forward to the PFD t-shirt, but in the meantime I really like the Green Jacket.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #4
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
The green jacket is the best I have owned and I have owned a few. As a lady this has been the most comfortable jacket, even more then then the lady specific ones. Having the tightening happen below the lady parts is crucial. It allows you to still breath and not just be sandwiched in there. I also have the Rasta design and I love that too just to put a little flair in the mix. All I can say is I feel bad for tourist that have to wear the bulky orange jackets with a pillow, but at least it will float them! And yes to the day it is a lifejacket t-shirt...
Wack-Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #5
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Randaddy- can you describe for me where exactly the chest throwbag fits in the GreenJacket? I've got the 300 still, and on that one, the bag goes just behind the pocket, leaving the pocket available for other crap.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010   #6
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Ok, I've been dying to get one of the LE's ever since I missed out on the space alien (#2) last year. Not a big ninja fan and my good friend already had the LE#1 (didn't want to be twins). So the LE #4 comes out and I swear the "bootie guy" looks like he's pregnant. Really? I get the sprayskirt and pfd thing- but in sillouette it looks like the dude has got a bun in the oven.
I guess I'll be waiting for the redesigned regular one to come out in March.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010   #7
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Re: The preggers bootie person. I see it as their hardcore attitude being further exuded.

"You swam, drink your bootie beer!"

"But dude, she's PREGNANT"

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010   #8
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
Randaddy- can you describe for me where exactly the chest throwbag fits in the GreenJacket? I've got the 300 still, and on that one, the bag goes just behind the pocket, leaving the pocket available for other crap.
Can you really fit stuff in the pocket after you have the rope in there? I can't really use my pocket once I have the throw bag inserted in it's position (ie there's no way I could put webbing for a pin-kit in there).
GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010   #9
Jenks, Oklahoma
On the early version Green Jacket I have, there is another small zipper pocket on the left side, similar to the one on the right that the biner fits in. I have some emergency gear in there. I also have the Astral throw rope that fits behind the front pocket. You are correct in that the front does bulge out with the extra throw rope, however I can still get a few items in the front pocket. I have the spectra 50 foot rope in mine. I was surprised to find that it throws very well. And, as the previous poster noted, it is always with me. I carry a 75 ft throw bag in the kayak or raft so the Astral throw rope is extra but it is always with me when I am wearing the PFD.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010   #10
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I have the Green Jacket LE2, and love it. Astral did a great job

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote

astral, colorado kayak supply, evan stafford, jakub nemec