Old 11-14-2010   #11
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
GA- I get a few things in the pocket with the rope behind the pocket, but you're right, it does make things tight. A 6' strap rolled up, firestarter, Laerdal pocket mask all live in there. On the side pocket under my right arm are 2 carabiners and 2 single length runners.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010   #12
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
Randaddy- can you describe for me where exactly the chest throwbag fits in the GreenJacket? I've got the 300 still, and on that one, the bag goes just behind the pocket, leaving the pocket available for other crap.
It goes behind the pocket with a snap strap that keeps it from falling out. It does put some pressure on the pocket and reduces it's volume, but with a throw bag on the chest I can't imagine wanting to put too much stuff in that front pocket. I keep my flip line and two lockers in the front pocket. I keep anchor cord, extra biners, and prussiks in the side pockets.

I should add that the side pockets suck. They are hard to access and do come open once in a while. I think this is the only problem with the PFD though, and I really only get into those pockets once or twice a year.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #13
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Other options?

Any other "good" PFD options out there? I picked up a new Green Jacket this summer only to find it didn't fit me the way I expected it to. At 6'3", 250 lbs, the jacket seemed to ride too high and to be a bit too snug in the chest, as well as too short in the torso.

Any "longer" PFD's out there with good fit/quality like the Green?
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #14
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I am 6'4'' and 200 lbs. My Green Jacket fits great. Why did you think it rode to high?
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #15
North Bend, Washington
You do know that the torso length can be adjusted right? The first time I tried one in I didn't realize this and thought it rode up too high. After I adjusted it, it was like wearing a dream.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #16
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I lengthened it out to the max and it still felt like it sat quite high on my torso and didn't have the overall length I thought it would. Part of my problem is I wear an older Astral PFD that is a low rider style. Compared to that the Green felt quite foreign. It was also a snug fit on the chest, something else I'm not used to with the belly band low rider.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #17
Prior Lake, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 1960
Last July, I found myself in a swim on the (Minnesota) Lower St. Louis River, and unfortunately got under the pour-over aside a tongue drop. (Braindead me looked down to the left as went down the tongue, well guess what!). What happened then is I missing some roll attempts in that foam only to get freaked about the overpour slamming me, so I pulled. Wish I hadn't! Ya see, the combination of the undertow and the recirc. pulled me down about 12 ft. and tried to neatly stuff me in away for the winter. Totally black! Fine!, I thought. We'll see who wins here. Still wearing my Green Jacket, I sensed a calm spot down there and swam at a 45 degree angle out, away and up only to find another boater swirling around in his boat, also caught in the backtow. No kidding, after about 7 minutes (at least) of scissor-kicking ... getting shoved down again (repeatedly) ... pushing boats away ... watching the other guy get pinned/flip/swim ... now focused on saving him too (weaker swimmer) ... we got yanked out. Couldn't feel my lower body for a few minutes. Possibly the Green Jacket helped. No way of knowing fer sure and I'm not going to volunteer to do a comparison test with a Type-III to find out. Enuf to say I'm kinda glad I had on the Green. Totally embarrassed. Wish I hit that roll.
chaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #18
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I have been paddling with a green jacket for the past 2 years too, and love it mostly. I've got the Astral throw rope in the chest, and with a flip line around my waist I can fit most of my pin kit in the front pocket. However, I've found the placement of the knife tab to be pretty awkward, especially with the front bulging out as much as it does. I have the NRS Pilot knife, which admittedly is a longer knife, but I was wondering if anyone has found a better spot to put the knife? (sew in a knife tab somewhere else on the pfd) Or do you just get a shorter knife and deal with it?
powderskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #19
North Bend, Washington
I don't know if the redeigned 2011 version will have addressed this or not. Being female and having enough already sticking out in front- I always wondered why the knife tab was placed the way it was on
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #20
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Astral has talked about possible changing the placement of the knife attachment, but until we actually see this year's Greenjacket we don't know. From the pictures we have seen it is very similar to previous years. You can stitch another attachment onto your jacket, but any stitching voids the Coast Guard rating and the Astral warranty and might give you some issues if you are doing the Grand Canyon or other rivers that are stringent on PFDs. You have a few options for attachment with the Greenjacket. You can get a smaller knife like this: Wingman Knife or you can use zip ties, string or ducktape to attach the knife up on the shoulder strap.

ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote

astral, colorado kayak supply, evan stafford, jakub nemec