Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Commercial Posts

Old 04-21-2007   #21
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
I have worked at A1 for the last two summers and while it is chaos at times and Breck is a little crazy, we do have a good time. So if you like rookie swim beer, minimal cleaning up, and The Steakout then it is the place to be.

jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #22
Leadvillian, Colorado
lots of luck...

Well, yogi it looks like you'll need to use the "force" to sort through the facts and fiction in this post.

One point I overlooked that some of the other posters touched on and is salient to your situation is whether or not you're currently certified in Colorado. There was talk that AWA might train, but I'm pretty sure MWD has enough returning guides that they won't be holding a training this season. It's a lot tougher to find a good training program than it is to find an acceptable company with a reasonably good work environment. I don't know anything about RTR's program, but I couldn't recommend either RMA or A-1 with what I know about them.

Beware if it's not obvious enough there is a lot of bias in the aforementioned posts.

As far as the quality of the guiding on the Poudre, I always thought you're only as good as your last clean run. Isn't there some kind of saying about all of us being between flips? From what I know that counts for the guides on the Rangitikei too, and maybe even mighty Clear Creek.

All this shit talking almost makes me miss it, almost.

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #23
Director of Operations/ Lost Paddle Rafting Inc., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1776
Poudre Companies and Guides

Obviously the guy commenting on Poudre River Guides is heavily biased and most likely has a vested interest in a company on Clear Creek. I have to agree , Poudre River guides are some of the best in North America, as well as Colorado. I did my training on the Poudre and was told at the time "If you can guide on the Poudre, you can guide anywhere". I am a firm believer of this now. I have guided commercially for 8 years and ran many class IV and V rivers throughout the world on the run. Including the hyped up Upper Gauley. The skills you develop on a steep and technical river like the Poudre are priceless. I now own and operate a company on the Arkansas River at the Royal Gorge. Several of our guides come from the Poudre. We have virtually no carnage and one of the best safety records on the river. These are some of the best guides in the world! Modest and very highly skilled. I look to employ seasoned Poudre guides as I know they have excellent river skills.
There is no room for arrogance in this business. It undermines the industry as a whole when we slander the skills of others. About the time you feel you are the best and you loose respect for the river, no matter if it is class II or class V, is about the time people get injured or possibly killed. This approach will ultimately hand you your ass! The most valuable knowledge I took from up north was never drop your guard or believe you are infallible.
All of the companies operating on the Poudre are good. They have all been in business for years now, and all have quality operations. Each one has their own feel and personality. You just have to visit each one and talk to the guides in addition to the owners. This will give you a good idea as to which one will be the best fit for you. Have a safe and fun season!

Whitewater Rafting Colorado| Rafting Colorado| Royal Gorge Rafting Colorado

jwick is offline   Reply With Quote