Old 04-26-2011   #21
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
i can get out there early next week. any chance you can be out there early next week?

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #22
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 02
Is anyone interested in this coming weekend? The flow should be right by Thursday-Fridayish. I'm coming from Flag and would be willing to drive.

jrinjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #23
I'm most interested in a Saturday run there. But things could change. Some work to get done... and if I can get it all done, then I could leave sometime Friday. My dream trip would be something like Friday afternoon Escalante (but that is less likely), then Saturday Zion narrows, and maybe the park run the same day. Then sunday morning Timpoweap and drive back. Flows look to be coming into "permitted" levels for the Narrows.

Steven, early next week is less ideal, but if I can't leave by Friday, it might be a possibility for a monday of paddling and then driving home.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #24
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
i am thinking i will arrive sunday late afternoon. Is the permit office open on sundays and will they give you a permit for the following day? Does anyone have a phone # for the office so I can confirm some things before making the long haul out there? looking to paddle the narrows monday, and something else tues.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #25
I would be interested in going if the timing works out. Also I found this on the NPS site. FYI

Zion Narrows Temporarily Closed to Whitewater Boating
Date: April 27, 2009

Over the weekend of April 25th and 26th, 2009, Zion National Park rangers performed multiple boating rescues from the Zion Narrows and associated canyons. During the spring snowmelt runoff season, the flow of the North Fork of the Virgin River is high enough to allow for whitewater kayaking, but a backcountry permit is required. An unusually high number of permits were issued for the weekend. Due to the multiple rescues that occurred over the weekend, the Zion Narrows is temporarily closed to whitewater boating.

Five boating parties planned one day trips through the Narrows on April 24th and 25th. Four of the groups spent unintentional nights in the Narrows. Two groups lost boats and required assistance to complete their trips. One kayaker was washed under a log jam but was not trapped by the hazard and was able to safely reach the river bank. His boat was lost downstream. After spending two nights in the Narrows, he was rescued by a passing boating party. Two kayakers attempted to climb out of the Narrows after losing a kayak. They were able to climb 800 feet above the river level before they became cliffed out, unable to climb up or down. They were eventually rescued with the use of a helicopter from Grand Canyon National Park.

Superintendent Jock Whitworth has temporarily closed the Zion Narrows to boating while the cause or causes of the multiple incidents are evaluated. Park rangers are focusing on the reason for a dramatic increase in permit requests and why so many boaters underestimated the difficulty of the route. When the causes are determined and appropriate actions taken, the Narrows will reopen as long as flows remain high enough.
All boaters are encouraged to realistically evaluate the arduous Class V route, utilizing a variety of information sources to plan their trip. Boaters are also reminded to plan for unintended overnight stays and emergencies. Rescue in the Narrows, or in Zion National Park, is never guaranteed. Rescue in the Narrows, if possible at all, will be significantly delayed due to the inherent dangers and risk to rescuer’s safety. Remember, your safety is YOUR responsibility.

For additional information, please contact Ray O’Neil, Plateau District Ranger, at 435-772-7823
ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #26
cedar city, Utah
The backcountry desk is open 7 days a week. Don't have their number off hand but I will try and find it soon. They don't often answer their phone but they will return your call within 48 hours if you leave a message. They will only provide a narrows permit with 24 hours notice, i.e. not the day of.

If you plan on floating below the Temple parking lot watch out for the river-wide strainer at the Court of the Patriarchs bridge. It is right below the small dam and appears to be at decapitation height. Easy portage or takeout right at the bus station.

The flow is ramping down right now but I wouldn't be shocked if it rises above 600 cfs multiple more times over the next few weeks. We have had unusually cool weather this spring and tons of precipitation. It looks like it will warm up again next week which should correlate with an increase in flows.

They are evidently allowing boaters camp in the narrows despite the closure posted for backpackers earlier this year.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote