Old 06-25-2007   #1
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Yough in 2 weeks

I'm headin' to PA for a wedding. Never been back east, and thinkin' about running the lower Yough. Anybody got any beta on the river or where to rent a boat?

Keep on, keepin' on!!
scoyoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #2
Lower Yough

Start with Three Rivers Paddling Club site. Three Rivers Paddling Club
Post a inquiry. Also as far as I know the outfitters will rent demos

kayakpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
well i was just down there this past weekend, not to paddle, but on a motorcycle trip (i live in pittsburgh). Wilderness Voyageurs was hosting a beer festival, and gear swap. They have lots of boats to demo. Ohiopyle is a pretty chill town too.
b dash rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Lower Yough is an easy read and run class III. I used to guide there back in the mid 90's. Somewhat of a zoo with all the rafts. There is a two mile section of river known as "the loop" that puts you roughly 1/2 mile from where you started (Loopegheny). And you can do laps there all day and walk back to town.

There is a fee for putting on the river and it is controlled by the parks. When I was there it was $2.50 and that included a bus ride to a parking area at the take out if you want to run the full 7 or 8 miles.

The falls in Ohiopyle (Class IV) are still illeagle to run but are easy if you happen to "miss" the take out for the Middle Yough (Class II which I have never run) the fine for running the falls is something like $1500. Over the falls race is in August! Sweet!

If you are an advanced boater, I recomend the 45min drive to Friendsville, Maryland to run the Upper Yough. There are regular releases on many weekends including mondays and Fridays. Speak to the locals. This is a classic PA creek roughly class IV.

If it happens to rain a lot check out Meadow Run in Ohiopyle and the Bear Creek in Friendsville.

The paddle community is very mid-west and easy going always willing to have an extra along.

Say so long to the steep, beefy, cold water of the west and enjoy the warm, channelized, pool drop rivers of of the east!

Remember, if it rains check the gauges!

r_baronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #5
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've run it a few million times It's a class 3 pool drop run in an attractive gorge, especially in the fall. Summer kind of sucks since there are like 2 billion rafts on it. You have to get a permit, which can be a task in the summer, since they only allow so many hard boats per hour. The permit isn't much, I think it and the required shuttle token (the shuttle takes you to the upper lot not back to Ohiopyle) is less than $5. The other thing that kind of stinks are the lower summer flows. 1.9ft (the predicted weekend recreational release) isn't a bad level, though.

The big rapids are Entrance - Cucumber, they are close together and kind of run together. Entrance is a bit of a hole slalom and Cucumber is a ledge drop. Railroad is another ledge with a little boulder garden. Dimple, a boulder garden with a massive undercut that is easy for hard boats to avoid at the entrance. Swimmers is a ledge at the end of Dimple that is the best playspot on the river. Be prepared for long lines in the summer, including 100s of rafters swimming through Rivers End is a fun little S-turn. The rest are pretty straight forward 3s.

Check out the park site for permits and a nice river map:

If you have the chance go to the Cheat (natural flow, so good luck in the summer) instead, if you are a class 4/5 boater go to the Upper Yough instead.

I think Laurel Highlands rents boats for the Yough. There is also a shop in Friendsville, MD, never rented from them, but I talked to the owner and he seemed like a cool cat.

Upper Yough Outfitters LLC
265 Maple St
Friendsville, MD 21531
(301) 746-5699
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #6
Commercial Paleontology
Yough Two Weeks

Yough will be running on the low side probably 1.7-1.8 ft but will still be fun easy class 3. It's a beautiful river. You can contact Wilderness Voyageurs @1-800-272 4141ask for Sean or Kos...they have the store right in Ohiopyle & will be glad to rent or demo you a boat. Ask them what night is Wings & Yings...I think it's Tues or Wed. anyway it's a great beer & wing cheap date for dinner....Yinglings are a tasty beer. You can also go with Riversports out of Confluence but the downfall is it's 10 miles down the road...but if you do ask for Andy...he's a great guy! You also might check water flows for Slippery Rock Creek in case the area has had some rain which is north of Pit @ Slippery Rock area. If it's flowing it is a nice class 3-4 creek that boats like a very small river not like a true creek. It is definitely worthy. Enjoy your trip!
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
Ask them what night is Wings & Yings...I think it's Tues or Wed. anyway it's a great beer & wing cheap date for dinner....Yinglings are a tasty beer.
oh yes... cant miss true western PA meals....

b dash rian is offline   Reply With Quote