Old 05-19-2010   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Yampa to Powell ??

I am beginning to plan trip from Yampa Canyon to Lake Powell (continuous). Has anyone ever done this, or have info for this trip. I calculated about 400 miles and 15+ days to do? I have rowed several of the sections (gates of Ladore but not yampa, deso/gray, cisco to Moab) but wanted info on the stretches between split mountain & sand wash put-in and from below green river to the confluence with the Colorado. If you are interested in joining me, let me know too. I am looking late June to mid July and timing will depend on permits at this point. Thanks.

HtotheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #2
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I did Deerlodge to Dirty Devil in May/June 2006 in 15 days. Calculated it at 435 miles. We spent 2 nights (not in a row) on the boats floating- 100 miles in a sitting. The first section we did like that was from Split Mt. boat ramp to Sand Wash. Second time we did it was in Labyrinth. Everything between Green River and the confluence is completely flat, as it the Uintah Basin. Stillwater Canyon is beautiful. 15 days might be tough at less than peak flows. We spent 5 days between Deerlodge and Split Mt., 5 days from there to Green River, and 5 days from Green River to Dirty Devil, and we saw around 40k cfs in Cataract, so you know it was moving. Let me know if there are other questions I can answer for you. Have fun!

EDIT: I can't believe my wife had to remind me of the dam between the Deso/Gray takeout and Green River. It's nasty. We ran it just right of center, aiming for a bend in the drop, slightly missed my line, and made it ok. The kayaks sneaked far right, dropping right at the wall for the diversion channel. No telling what it looks like at flows less than 20K+. Scout. Be careful.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #3
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
welcome to the buzz, you might want to try the search function for a one armed (name of civil war hero).
lots of info on this and related matters here
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Yeah, that sound good. Checking vacation days and I am in provided you have a sick house boat w cold beers awaiting us in Powell
MustacheTheGauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #5
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
A couple of buddies and I just did Deso to Powell- took us 12 days, with several 30+ mile days but also some short days, and with a good flow. It was really windy a couple of days, so watch out for that- the wind definitely slowed us down a little. Labrynth and stillwater are both super flat but really cool canyons, but there will also be some motor boats on that stretch.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #6
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
Bring whatever you use to fend off crazy mosquitos. The section above sandwash will be as bad as sandwash ever is...
sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #7
Elizabeth, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2yrs
Have been on a few sections. Sounds fun. Can you give me more info?

Tambetha is offline   Reply With Quote