Old 10-06-2009   #1
Missoula / Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
where to paddle in nov. in idaho?

I'm heading down idaho at the begining of nov and was wondering where the best places to go would be? Is bliss wave in/worth it? Is anything still in on the payettes or salmon then? Guess I'm looking for some suggestions from the idaho locals.

MTChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #2
Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2007
well, thats tough, since most of the rivers in idaho are runoff. being so late in the season, paddling is kinda scarce. The Hells Canyon run of the snake is about medium flows right now, so theres that option. Bliss wave is pretty fun, but I'm not sure if its in right now. The Payette is usually runnable, but very rocky this time of year. with the water so low, the whitewater isn't as good. the main payette is runnable but low (class 2-3), south fork payette is low but runnable (class 3-4). its at about 500 cfs right now, and I've run it at about 600. just scout before running it. Leaving Facebook... | Facebook has some really useful flow gauges that are good to check out before they go.

(that's from my friend who used to live in Idaho)

kayaker2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #3
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Hells is pretty big right now, 20K during the day. I was supposed to be on a trip this past weekend (missed it with a cold) and everyone ran the green room in Granite.

I recommend you post on the Idaho Whitewater site (yahoo), you'll get better info there, but they're not yakkers, which I'm guessing you are. There's another web group of yakkers around the Boise area, but I don't have any info for you. The idaho group might be able to point you in that direction. But, if Ted's awake/online he'll know where the water is.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #4
Bliss is always in. It's a dam release.

If you're coming from Missoula, hit up Riggins. Tons of surfing options and at that time low elevation rain will have brought up the Salmon. Lots of different waves depending on levels.
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #5
If you can swing a Hells Canyon trip do it! Great play and generally very moderate weather. I've done it 9-10 times in late oct early nov and the weather has almost always been nice.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009   #6
alta, Utah
murtaugh has been on the rise. I know it's been run/walked much lower but, 1200 to 1500 cfs (1800-422-3143 press #2 twice for the current flow) is pretty much your desired cfs level unless you enjoy paddling in the dark. Pm me if you need a good shuttle driver.

barry is offline   Reply With Quote

idaho, november boating