Originally Posted by Caleb125
Im going to visit Lewis and Clark University in early June and I want to kayak while I'm there. Where are the best class 3 rapids and park n plays in Portland?
There are a lot of these threads for Portland on this forum but here goes again.
1. Upper Clackamas is a III+ run in the summer that generally has enough water that time of year. There is a really good play spot called "Bob's Hole" at the end of the run that you can also park and play at.
2. North Santiam River (Packsaddle to Mill City) is a really fun run that is dam controlled and always has water. It has a fantastic park and play spot as well called Spencer's Hole.
3. A 2 hour drive away is the White Salmon River - this is an absolute Pacific Northwest Classic. Continuous Class III with some class IV decision making and a fairly large drop at the end (Google Husum Falls).
4. Also 1.5-2 hours away is the Hood River, it could potentially be running that late. Dee to Tucker or Tucker to Marina.
5. 2.5 hours drive away is the Deschutes River - a fantastic run (Harpham flats to sandy beach) is a fantastic splash and giggle run with some nice big class III waves. I'm not familiar with the play spots on this river, but there are many depending on flows.
These are your most likely candidates. Join www.pdxkayakers.org
or Forums Directory | FLOW- the northwest rafting community
to post for runs. Pdxkayakers has been around forever, the flowforums are new, but starting to pick up.