Mountain Buzz banner

where to boat mid-late july, montana / idaho / wyoming / CO?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Cutch 
#1 ·
hi

i'm based in denver and i'm trying to get a week off work asap to go boating, but it doesn't look like it will be till about mid - late july. where can i go boating?

i'm looking to do g5 type stuff, steep, but fun, possibly multiday stuff.

is there much boating in wyoming? i've heard a lot about montana and idaho, but not much in wyoming.

do you think there will be much stuff going in CO?

any suggestions?

thanks for any help.

richard
:?:

#2 ·
I have posted this a few times, but, here in Boise, ID we have a kick ass river system. All july there will be things to do. If you are looking for Class V, the NF Payette has 15 miles of non stop action. The water is 75 degrees. I'm serious, bring a shorty and surf shorts. There will be some play in the area on the other runs. At this time the Deadwood may be running as well. This is a class IV-V wilderness dam release run in the area. To the North the Main Salmon will have some type of big water feature to surf then drink coldies on the white sand beaches. The SF Salmon has a classic overnighter that people run down pretty low. I've heard stories of Bald eagles and Bears. I may do this run this weekend. I'll let you know how it is. But, again, the real gem of the area is the NF Payette. I paddle this river 50-60 times a year and still come off with ear to ear grins everyday. The current flows are 1700 and they are expected to go to 2200 in the next few days and last for the next few months. This is starting to get pretty beefy on this river. Shoot me an email if you want.

yakitup@earthlink.net

Cory

#3 ·
NF of the Payette

I'd have to agree with Cory. I ran the middle fork 2 weeks ago and had enough time to hit the lower 5 on the North Fork before coming back to Denver. I was grinning ear to ear through every crashing hole. The NF is definiately worth the trip to ID.

Eric

#4 ·
Washington and BC. Sick creeking that time of year, and you can rally up to Skookumchuck. I did a 10 day tour from Hood River, OR to Skook and it was one of the best trips I have ever done. You might try to find a paddling partner before you go though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.