Old 01-25-2008   #11
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
yampa tour?

I lived along the yampa for 33years,paddled and hike from stmbt to jensen.
There is some public land between stmbt and deerlodge but not much!
Also Cross mountain is not to be taken lightly!!!!!!!
I've never seen rafters in there above 4000cfs! NOT recommended!!!!
If you want to add 20 miles to your yampa trip put in at cross mountain take out down to deerlodge.
If you got any extra space?
I have raft and gear and know where all the secret hikes are!

ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #12
Idaho Springs, Colorado
upon further research:
1) NO boating permits between the cross and deerlodge (according to one site)

2) i'm a retired commercial guide, rafted V's swam V's, but my boy and dog aren't ready (yet) i got the impression warm springs was the only significant rapid but now i know i'lll be taking out before the cross - this time.

could be a daytrip on yampa -- or longer -- any beta on stillwater to steamboat (can a 14'er make it? at what flows?) we have room for people but not dogs. and timing is up in the air, depending on whats good/better.

JennMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #13
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
yampa tour?

I thought you had a real Yampa trip, through the park!
Stllwater down is not worth it.
Two small,barb wire,dams and lots of private land.
Stmbt to maybell is a good posibility!
good luck
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #14

me and the old lady went down from craig to maybell once upon a time. i think we took 3 days, and i saw more ranchland, fences, and agriculture than i was expecting. we definately won't be going back. there is juniper canyon, and there were also some fairly descent camping.

it was cool to get out, and being river novices, the highlight of the trip was the portage past teh juniper canyon "crux"..

i tell you, though, my most vivid memory was this one spot, where we were coming around a bend, and there was a steep bank on the right, right where a property division barbed wire fence was, and i could see something on the fence, but couldn't quite make out. as we get closer, me and OL keep wondering what we're looking at, and eventually what we find is the decomposed carcus of a cow that was stuck on the fence. Man, what a weird feeling that was, imagining how the cow somehow gets over to this fence, probably trying to get to the river to get a drink, and somehow falls or something, and gets entangled in this barbed wire fence, only to suffer and die there, so that passer bys can view. Imagine being stuck on a 45 degree slope, entangeled in barbed wire, only to die probably a painful and slow death.

whoa - didn't mean to crash your party, though.

regarding camping, yeah, there was enough good camping. at one spot, i actually saw the biggest jack rabbit of my life. i swear that thing was as 4 ft tall, and way bigger than by fairly big retreiver/lab....

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #15
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for that graphic desctiption of the cow, Steve...

Back in about '96 or '97, I'm not sure which, I floated the Yampa from Craig to Maybelle with some fellow Geology grad students who'd never done a river trip before. I think we went through every permutation of the Deliverance jokes that you could think of...

It was high water at the time, we saw numerous news crews out reporting on the flooding when were headed out, the flow was about 17K. Its wasn't real spectacular scenery through Little Yampa Canyon but we had plenty of beer and didn't see another party for the three or four days we were on the river. We did see a bloated cow floating down the river. We were pretty clueless about camping on public or private land but didn't run into any trouble or hostile landowners.

We stopped at the river access just before Juniper Canyon and unloaded most of our camping gear before running the whitewater. As we were floating into Juniper Canyon and the roar of the rapid started getting everyone jazzed for some action, I heard the distinct sound of a high-powered rifle firing and wondered if the Deliverance jokes had been ominous foreshadowing - was I about to see one of my buddies roll into the river? Would the boat deflate suddenly as we headed into the unknown rapids ahead? I looked around and saw what looked like a family up high on the cliffs who turned out to just be some locals out shooting (not at rafters fortunately). We pulled out on river right and scouted Juniper Canyon, then ran the right side run. At 17K cfs, the hole on the left seemed huge - we saw a log the size of a telephone pole get swallowed up and spit out while we were scouting.

If you're looking for stunning scenery and constant excitement, start getting your permit applications ready. If you want solitude and a pleasant float, camping out on the river, and a little whitewater in Juniper Canyon, its a good stretch of river.

Another worthwhile float is the White River below Rangely - you'll see lots of "slow elk" there as well.

Have a good trip,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #16
Take a motor for the 22 miles from juniper canyon to Maybell, all private land. Ox bow after ox bow, slow water. If its windy, you'd have to be superman to paddle or oar this distance against the wind. Juniper canyon rapid at peak flows is nasty and comes from around a blind corner quickly. we ran right of center, hugh waves!

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote