Old 10-27-2009   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1990
Westwater Shuttle

Anyone have any ideas on westwater shuttles? Coming down from Jackson with one car and wondering if there are bike options? or shuttle services? Hitching? thanks for any help.

Jacksonholekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #2
4CRS, Durango, Colorado

Bike shuttle works well, the kokopelli trail goes from the put-in to take out. Give yourself some time though.

TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks for the quick reply. How long of a bike is it? is it mountain or road bike?
Jacksonholekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #4
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Think its pretty close to the length of the run about 17 miles (never biked it) but have driven it. I would say mtn bike as it is wide enough for a 4x4 but pretty rutted out and up and down as I remember it, been a while.

It was packed there last weekend, but two weeks prior during the week it was fairly quiet. You might have luck dropping gear and driving to the put in and waiting or just asking at the put-in if your doing a weekend trip and get their early. Doubt hitchhiking would happen outside of another boater given how far the take out and put in are from the highway. Here is map of the trail:
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #5
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I have used a local Castle Valley shuttle driver named Bill Shroider, he has ran my shuttles for the last 3 years. I believe he charges $80. I pick him up at Cisco and drive him to WW, then unload my stuff at put in and he drives my car down to Cisco. I never had a problem with him coming on time or car trouble. Really nice guy and old time boater! If you are interested, I can PM you his number.

There is also American Shuttle services from Grand Junction, I believe they charge more, but I have heard good feedback from them as well. I think they can do the same shuttle as Bill, and they can do car shuttles as well where they pick up the cars at WW.

American Spirit Tours offers custom tours and transportation in Western Colorado and Eastern Utah.

Also, WW community is pretty friendly folk, so you could always score a shuttle with someone, just a matter of having people there and seeing if they are driving to Cisco/WW.

Hope this helps,
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #6
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
These guys are ok...

Colorado River Tours (Gunnison and Dolores Rivers): Rimrock Adventures
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #7
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
I used Rimrock for my shuttle this past weekend, it was spendy at $110 but it sure was nice not too have to run my own shuttle.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #8
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Bike shuttle!

I Bike the shuttle all the time! Did 25 runs through westwater this year, 6 solo, it's a great ride, two trac and marked all the way!
13 miles and 17 river miles. I plan on 1.5hr for bike leg of shuttle, but you can do it in an hour if you want to!
Theres a bike rack at putin to loc up to also!
Just did my last run of the year sunday, awesome surf right now
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #9
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
bike shuttle!

Hey do you know Ned Brown? Blue lion?
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #10
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
River run is about 17 miles
Car shuttle about 40 miles/minutes(each Way)
Bike shuttle is about 12 miles. Easy ride on Kokapelli trail. Takes about 1hr 15min.
Some of the ride is road, some is single trackish. There are a few forks to choose from. If you see a small kokapelli trail sign take it, but they all go to the same place. A few roads go towards the rim but it is pretty obvious if you are heading the wrong way, hard to get lost. Good chance of running into some antelope on this ride.

As far as shuttles, here is a list from the blm website:
Moab Area Shuttle Services

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote