Mountain Buzz banner

Westwater at high flows

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sealion 
#1 ·
Never done it. Most of the beta I've seen is for flows less than 10k. Any advice for mid-June high water?

Other than "rig for a flip."

#3 ·
i've been in westwater once, at ~23000cfs.

really wasn't too bad, big eddy lines, and huge waves in the section above skull. skull was huge and the rock of shock/room of doom was nauseating...but it wasn't hard to miss it. a few big laterals pushing you right, but we had plenty of room to go left and catch a big eddy where we could watch our other boats go through and check out the big hole/wall/room.

We did not scout it...don't think we could have. flipping/swimming in the rapids directly above skull would be a very bad thing.

we kept waiting for SITM but it was washed out.

super fun day. did the whole run in just a handful of hours. I couldn't sleep for a few days before, but it was totally fine.

#4 ·
Other than "rig for a flip."
You don't want to flip at high flow, just don't even think about it. If you swim after Marble, you swim all the way.

The waves get big, just square off with everything and push the sticks. All runs are pretty similar to lower water. SITM will be gone, Funnel Falls is a lot wider at this point, Skull right to left move.

Here is my video at 15.5k, hope it gives you an idea about the rapids.

YouTube - Westwater Canyon, Colorado River

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.